• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

denim definitions

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i make my own jeans. in shopping for yardage i have run into these terms.
can anyone define these for me?
would be thankful for any help.

crosshatch denim
bull denim
pfd denim
raw denim
jegging
slub denim
broken denim

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so many here with more knowledge than i about denim.
was hoping that there was help for me.
anyone?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thank you for the help. now i only need to know about. bull denim, jegging, and p f d denim.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm genuinely curious.. you're a tailor and you make custom jeans but you're not familiar with these basic terms?

He is a real tailor, that I can attest to, but afaik, new to denim. He is trying out something new, which I think is always cool. I've rarely met a pattern maker who was not trained specifically in denim that can cut a jean that doesn't just look like a pair of denim dress pants (the early Wings+Horns/Spruce jeans should be museum pieces in the museum of terrible), so I am curious how this project turns out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. Not nice. atailor is a really nice guy, and an older gent. I'll let him tell his own story.

Anyway, bull denim is made from undyed warp and weft threads. Usually, denim is made from colored warp and white or unbleached weft threads. pfd just stands for "Prepared for dyeing", and is great fun to play with. All the vibrant blue (not indigo) jeans you will see this summer, all made from pfd cloth.

Jeggings are what I tear off Whodini's mom with my teeth.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we all took a wild guess at age when the question of "jeggings" came up.
Leave it to Fok to come up with the definitive, first-hand knowledge response while calling me out and slighting my mom.
:foo:

It's like the old days. We should have a reunion. Oh right. There is going to be one. In San Francisco. On May 5. Who, come celebrate your national holiday with us.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiya thanks for the lead on that info. yes i am a tailor but retired now for 17 years come july this year.
the only contact i had with denim was to buy jeans at sears.
a few years ago i went to put on my jeans to do some digging in the garden. the jean was in sad shape.
so instead of going to sears, a great idea. hey i can make my own jean.
the first two pair i copied from the old ones. they were pretty sorry looking.
then i drafted my own pattern, not too bad. so far i've made 5 pair. wife asks why i need so many jeans.
as a tailor i have always had to wear dress trousers and dress shirt with a tie for work, not too comfortable.
now i can wear any thing, and my jean is as i like it..
all of the ones t have made, are with flat seams or double stitched lapped seams. i have not tried flat felled seams.
this week i finished my first selvage jean. i hope to have pictures taken and show them to you folks for critique.
i am still a beginner on the computer so i need to have my son help me do this.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lol. Not nice. atailor is a really nice guy, and an older gent. I'll let him tell his own story.
Anyway, bull denim is made from undyed warp and weft threads. Usually, denim is made from colored warp and white or unbleached weft threads. pfd just stands for "Prepared for dyeing", and is great fun to play with. All the vibrant blue (not indigo) jeans you will see this summer, all made from pfd cloth.
Jeggings are what I tear off Whodini's mom with my teeth.

waddaya mean older gent. this guy is a youngster yet, in january i was a young 84.
check with me in 30 years or so and i will tell you all about old.
didnt i just read that 84 was the new 48. or is that age transposing?
hey did that zip work out ok?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads