• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Brand names/models you have absolutely no problem paying RETAIL

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I would like to know what you denim guys opinions are on brands as my past threads died without really giving me any good info.

SO i ask which brand/model would you pay retail for and why.

I am attempting to pull the trigger on my first $250+ retail purchase on a Somet 008. i just cannot seem to find this anywhere less than retail, unless of course they are used on B&S.

I hope it is worth my quarter grand. SO, what is your jean you would get full price?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
almost every pair I own I've bought at full price

ones worth it imo:

-SFx5EP (tho I got the denimbar 20% off on these, but would be worth it at full)
-Julian Red California
-Nudie Thin Finn grey coated
-Jean Shop skinny raw

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most all of the Japanese repro brands, I fully believe in paying retail. Good jeans are not like shoes or a shirt - you (or at least I) only need 1 great pair of jeans. I haven't paid retail for shoes in over 5 years, but I have for japanese repro jeans.

They only way you will be able to get below "US retail" is to import them directly from Japan. It will still not save you that much money anyway. I would only avoid US retail if I was planning to go to Japan myself.

Solid brands I can think of are Iron Heart, Oni, Somet, SDA, Flat Head, Skulls, Samurai, Warehouse, etc. They retail between $200-300 and they are worth it. You wear them every single day and they should last you 2 years plus. If you only wear them a few times a week they will last a lifetime.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Good jeans are not like shoes or a shirt - you (or at least I) only need 1 great pair of jeans.

What do you do about the perception that you dont change your jeans every day or have a change of clothes?

I remember at work few years back one person made fun of another guy because he wore the same jeans consecutive days on a regular basis.
(mind you he was not wearing any cool trendy raw denim, but rather just some plain relaxed jeans from jcpenny or something like that)

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he loved those jeans. I try not to listen to those people. They're rats.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I live in a sheltered Styleforum world but I get the feeling that it is generally accepted to wear the same jeans over and over. If not, you can certainly go out and get more jeans. There are some bargains to be had too if money is tight, a lot of cheaper brands coming out these days, as well as APC is also still available.

The collaborations are nice but you are not missing much by getting one of the standard cuts by other makers. Your somets 008, Iron Heart 634, Flat Head 3001, Eternal 811, these are near cult-iconic now. They are all great cuts and I'm sure at least one will work well for you. I had the opportunity to buy all of the collaboration jeans and I passed on them, if I end up getting another pair of repros they will either be Flat Head 3001 or Oni Blue which are continuously available - and cheaper.

Reaction score
I don't mind paying the Japanese retail price for Japanese jeans; I have not yet been able to pay the marked up US price for same.

somecallmebj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
What do you do about the perception that you dont change your jeans every day or have a change of clothes? I remember at work few years back one person made fun of another guy because he wore the same jeans consecutive days on a regular basis. (mind you he was not wearing any cool trendy raw denim, but rather just some plain relaxed jeans from jcpenny or something like that)
I don't even listen to them anymore. I just say to myself, "they don't understand." My friends used to give me **** about it... until they get jealous.
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
I don't mind paying the Japanese retail price for Japanese jeans; I have not yet been able to pay the marked up US price for same.
Aye. I have no problems either. Sometimes it's better not to even think about the price. At least for me it is. The price you pay does not compare to the quality of the item you're getting. And I agree about the 5EPxSF jean. Of course, it's all I have so far, but for my first pair, I could not be any happier. I feel lucky.

fosho78

Reaction score
I don't think I would ever buy a pair of jeans just because I can get a discount. I think jeans are the staple of any good wardrobe (especially when you're in college, like I am) so I'd be willing to pay retail for any pair of jeans that I really fall in love with. I only have 3 pairs right now that I wear often (Nudie Slim Jim Black-on-Black, Sling&Stone David in raw, and Pure Blue Japan xx-005), and I'd pay retail for any of them.

Getting a discount is more of an added bonus than a motive for buying.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid retail for my APCs and I think it was money well spent. Most of the other non-japanese brands can be found easily on sale though, if you're patient. If you're going for repros, full retail is the norm.

As far as wearing the same jeans every day, almost no one will notice unless they're flashy.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope you guys will pay full retail or at least use the afflialte discount so people like self edge, Blake, and all the other specialty stores can stay in business ( including myself).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads