• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by BlueMagic's repeated critiques of MC members' denim, I ask... where does one start in one's quest to purchase the better pair of jeans?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha I will try to help.

It is extremely unlikely that the pair of 10-year-old jeans you have in your closet are in any way attractive today. Unless you are a denim collector, the only thing you could have possibly bought 10 or 15 years ago which would still look good today are raw LVC 501 47s or raw Lees which would have been pretty hard to chance upon in 1995. If you got plain 501s in a stone wash, those look horrible now, yes they look like grandpa jeans. If you own Lucky, Seven, Diesel, etc, you may look more up to date, but in a douchebag way.

So we've established that the jeans you have probably look bad, so now, what should you get?

These days, the iGent wears straight leg jeans. Not boot cut, not tapered. Obviously, if you have an overarching need for something other than straight leg, go for it. But you are straying from the iGent Weekender manual.

If you don't have a pair of dark jeans, you should get dark. Gray jeans, white, cream, light wash, are all fine. But you should have a pair of dark jeans as a go-to pair.

Recommendations: I can think of decent $50 jeans (Uniqlo straightleg one wash or raw non-selvage), $100-ish (any slim dark Gap or Naked and Famous), $150-ish (entry-level japanese repro nonselvage, or APC, or LVC 47 raw), and $200+ (Japanese repro). Walking down the street, these can look remarkably similar. They are relatively narrow (8 inches or less on the cuff), straight leg, dark, and have minimal or no back pocket design.

If you are on a really strict budget, I recommend Uniqlo straightleg or Gap on sale. This should run about $50.00. I would also recommend Lees authentics from their official website if they have your size. Lee is slashing the hell out of their prices.

If you just don't want to be bothered too much, go get LVC 47s. They are only $175 and they are almost always available.

If you want to go balls out, do research on japanese repro and other denim-culture brands. My personal favorites are Flat Head (incredibly unique color and fade, but still subtle) Iron Heart (excellent middle-of-the-road cut, 21 oz heavyweight), and Oni Blue (super slubby straight-leg)

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
haha I will try to help. It is extremely unlikely that the pair of 10-year-old jeans you have in your closet are in any way attractive today. Unless you are a denim collector, the only thing you could have possibly bought 10 or 15 years ago which would still look good today are raw LVC 501 47s or raw Lees which would have been pretty hard to chance upon in 1995. If you got plain 501s in a stone wash, those look horrible now, yes they look like grandpa jeans. If you own Lucky, Seven, Diesel, etc, you may look more up to date, but in a douchebag way. So we've established that the jeans you have probably look bad, so now, what should you get? These days, the iGent wears straight leg jeans. Not boot cut, not tapered. Obviously, if you have an overarching need for something other than straight leg, go for it. But you are straying from the iGent Weekender manual. If you don't have a pair of dark jeans, you should get dark. Gray jeans, white, cream, light wash, are all fine. But you should have a pair of dark jeans as a go-to pair. Recommendations: I can think of decent $50 jeans (Uniqlo straightleg one wash or raw non-selvage), $100-ish (any slim dark Gap or Naked and Famous), $150-ish (entry-level japanese repro nonselvage, or APC, or LVC 47 raw), and $200+ (Japanese repro). Walking down the street, these can look remarkably similar. They are relatively narrow (8 inches or less on the cuff), straight leg, dark, and have minimal or no back pocket design. If you are on a really strict budget, I recommend Uniqlo straightleg or Gap on sale. This should run about $50.00. I would also recommend Lees authentics from their official website if they have your size. Lee is slashing the hell out of their prices. If you just don't want to be bothered too much, go get LVC 47s. They are only $175 and they are almost always available. If you want to go balls out, do research on japanese repro and other denim-culture brands. My personal favorites are Flat Head (incredibly unique color and fade, but still subtle) Iron Heart (excellent middle-of-the-road cut, 21 oz heavyweight), and Oni Blue (super slubby straight-leg)
worship.gif

Studio27

Reaction score
Nice breakdown Tarmac. Flathead arcuates may be a bit avant garde for some, and some straight up slub (oni blue/pbj) are cool but again, perhaps a bit much. Iron Heart's are pretty much universally loved as long as you don't want fades. 47 LVCs are pretty stellar. PSG x-posted in sw&d wearing a pair, and I think this is a great look that works well for the non-college-aged demographic: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=17488 p.s.: baron has some very nice jeans that work well in the forum crossover
smile.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another tip: Remove garish designs, if you wish.

There was a big arcuate (backpocket stitch design) lawsuit in 2007. This is when Japanese repro manufacturers were forced to change their "levi's-ish" arcs. Most went the extreme way (a la Flat Head). Yes I hate these, feel free to buy a $2 seamripper the same day you buy $300 Flat Heads, and go to work.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sage words Tarmac. I bought my first pairs of Uniqlo (selvage) regular fit for cheap recently and can see them getting into my regular rotation.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think sho'nuff is implying that it is difficult to buy the 1 pair of top-line repro jeans which are perfect for you right off the bat, when you know almost nothing about them in general.

Typically, the pattern goes something like this:
Guy wants stylish jeans.
Balks at the $300 repro price. "wtf? forget that. I'd rather buy another pair of brown wingtips"
Buys APC, Cheap Monday, or Naked Famous instead for $150.
3 months later, he buys $300 repro jeans.

I think this pattern is fine, it's basically what I did.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$50-$100=levis

$125-200=APC or acne

$200-250=superfine or PBJ

these are my favorites and the respective price range.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tarmac.

What is slub? Repro? Selvage? Why would one want these things? And raw denim?

When looking at measurements, should I be looking for different things than when I look for dress trousers?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Thanks, Tarmac.

What is slub? Repro? Selvage? Why would one want these things? And raw denim?

When looking at measurements, should I be looking for different things than when I look for dress trousers?

Here's a pic which shows slub and selvage. Slub is the random knottiness of the fabric itself, selvage is the self-finishing edge on the outseam. Selvage in itself is almost meaningless, however almost all repro (reproduction) brands use it on some or all of their lines.

sugarcane_okinawa_05.jpg

For sizing, japanese brands are remarkably consistent. 90% of them shrink to tagged size, then can stretch out depending on how tight you wear them, and how long you wear them between washes. Whoever is selling you the jeans should be able to tell you definitive shrink/stretch info.

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think sho'nuff is implying that it is difficult to buy the 1 pair of top-line repro jeans which are perfect for you right off the bat, when you know almost nothing about them in general.

Typically, the pattern goes something like this:
Guy wants stylish jeans.
Balks at the $300 repro price. "wtf? forget that. I'd rather buy another pair of brown wingtips"
Buys APC, Cheap Monday, or Naked Famous instead for $150.
3 months later, he buys $300 repro jeans.

I think this pattern is fine, it's basically what I did.

Cool. Thx.

I ask a question in the pinned thread but havent' seem to get answered yet. I have MIJ Dior Homme Raw 29 or 30 (21cm and 19cm)... Would any of you know how APC and some of the repro jeans will compare in fit and sizing?

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From time to time I see the term "stack" used when talking about denim. What is "stack"?

Also, if I were to pick up one of the above mentioned brands would I need to worry about the denim "bleeding" the first time I washed it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads