• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The vibe is Apocalypse Now, first five minutes.

Could be cool...or not.

- B

I think you're overreading things.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I see this rapidly spiraling downward. Do we have to hear about chest hair now?

Did you see the pig he slaughtered over me in the other thread? I'm a little bit worried too.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think you're overreading things.

I don't think so. I think that you are minutes away from going upriver to take someone out.

- B

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't think so. I think that you are minutes away from going upriver to take someone out.

- B

Scarily, I cropped the ceiling fan out of the picture.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to get back on track, for you guys who can't be bothered, this is what you should be striving for, just something like this

dsc00938rg6.jpg

You don't have to be a denim-head, have 10 pairs x $300 japanese jeans. just have something that fits.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
to get back on track, for you guys who can't be bothered, this is what you should be striving for, just something like this

dsc00938rg6.jpg

You don't have to be a denim-head, have 10 pairs x $300 japanese jeans. just have something that fits.

This is better, but still not great, imo. The problem is the pocket square and shirt color, and maybe the shirt material as well. IMO, the sportscoat and jeans thing looks a lot better with a shirt that will obviously not take a tie, or, at most, a knit tie. If this is an Oxford cloth shirt, one step in the right direction. There is a litmus test for the elusive sportsjacket with jeans look. If the whole thing looks good and would actually look worse if odd trousers were worn instead of jeans, then you have succeeded.

For me, this means that the ideal sportscoat for this is, say moleskin, or donegal tweed, or cavalry twill, or something like similar, and the shirt is a patterned Oxford cloth, or something even more casual and rugged. The pocket square, if you must, should be something in a riot of colors, and definitely just sort of stuffed into the pocket.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
One of the problems is that the heavily starched sheen of new APC NS hurts the look.

There's a few good examples of it working on the Sartoralist.

emptym

Reaction score
I wear jeans and a sport coat once a week or so, but know barely anything about high quality denim. This thread has been really educational, as was Mauro's Denim Bar party several months ago, particularly talking to LA Guy. Loved the look and feel of the denim of a pair I tried on then by chamaro, chimalla, or something (?). If the cut had been better for me, I'd probably have gotten them. But I have yet to spend >$40. Maybe someday... For now, I'm really happy w/ regular 501s, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on them: fit, pairing w/ fabric and fit of other items, whatever. Below are three pairs of 501's.

The first in faded black w/ copper seams (I posted this on MC's WAYWRN, but it generated no feedback, + or -.
The second, are STF's from, sniff, stiff, Mervyns. Pic is one of a few on the SF in SF thread. No comments about that there either, iirc (except Ed's comment that Matt and I look strange or something. Velvet coat, checked shirt, cotton ps, OLD belt, shell boots (most in the other pics)
DSC06754.jpg
And finally, a pair of 501s I bought in 1987 or 88, as the stonewashing or whatever reveals. They were my favorite pair through '95, when on a train in Spain, in the bathroom, changing on the way back from the beach, I ripped the thigh while simply pulling them on -- they were that worn. I sewed the tear in 95 too, slowly, in parts, by hand. Pain the butt, but I'm cheap.
imgp3293dt6.jpg

Inspired by MaoMao and PhatG, I bought a pair of white ones at Jeremy's (for a single digit price), where I enjoyed meeting AHarris. No pics of those (or meeting AH). Been too cold for anything but wool, im-wimpy-o. They're my fourth and final pair. As mentioned, I'd really appreciate some feedback on fit of the jeans, pairing w/ of other items, due to their fit, fabric, whatever.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are pics of some jeans I own or have owned. None of these were taken with the intent to show the fit of the jeans so it is a bit hard to compare them, but anyways:

Iron Heart 634S with 1 year of wear, 1st and last pics are most accurate for color:

belstaffpantherih3.jpg

ironhearts3p12.jpg

ironhearts3p13.jpg

Iron Heart 634S (different pair) with several months of occasional wear, just starting to break in:

bananacafe2.jpg

Flat Head 3005:

belstaff50s2.jpg

flathead3005.jpg

Earnest Sewn Fulton, Line Dry wash (nearly raw)

arnyscheck1.jpg

esfilson50p1.jpg

esfilson50p4.jpg

Spurr raw classic:

kors1.jpg

spurrrawclassic1.jpg

spurrrawclassic5.jpg

5EP Straight Down Rigid:

barberalinensafari2.jpg

express2.jpg

5epstraightdown1.jpg

5epstraightdown2.jpg

5epstraightdown5.jpg

Sugar Cane Hawaii (Levi's '47 repro cut)

hawaii.jpg

sugarcanehawaii1.jpg

sugarcanehawaii4.jpg

Originally Posted by emptym
I bought a pair of white ones at Jeremy's (for a single digit price), where I enjoyed meeting AHarris.

It was nice to meet you too, and pretty crazy that I ran into you considering that was my first stop in SF or at Jeremys in over a year!

sayocean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Yes. You want Levis Vintage Collection.. I know we'll be carrying it (but it hasn't come in yet), and that several other denim boutiques have it.

If possible though, try these jeans on in person.

what cuts are you guys planning on carrying?? please say the 505s...

emptym

Reaction score
Gorgeous jeans, AH, and I really like the shirt you wore w/ the Sugar Canes. Chambray?

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
for those of you, like me, who just cant see spending $300+ on F-ing jeans but still insist on looking good then try Levi's 514 (slim strait) in the really dark (formal) wash color code# 4101. it can be found all over NYC for 35 to 50 bucks and its as dark, clean and crisp and any expensive brand. just my 2 cents.

emptym

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm sure that w/ your "perfect proportions," you could pull it off.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
This is better, but still not great, imo. The problem is the pocket square and shirt color, and maybe the shirt material as well. IMO, the sportscoat and jeans thing looks a lot better with a shirt that will obviously not take a tie, or, at most, a knit tie. If this is an Oxford cloth shirt, one step in the right direction. There is a litmus test for the elusive sportsjacket with jeans look. If the whole thing looks good and would actually look worse if odd trousers were worn instead of jeans, then you have succeeded.

For me, this means that the ideal sportscoat for this is, say moleskin, or donegal tweed, or cavalry twill, or something like similar, and the shirt is a patterned Oxford cloth, or something even more casual and rugged. The pocket square, if you must, should be something in a riot of colors, and definitely just sort of stuffed into the pocket.

LA Guy, you certainly know what you are talking about, but I think this analysis is way too much. The guy in the pic looks great as would anyone wearing something similar. I don't see a problem with this at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads