Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

2. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Anyplace in Boston to actually try this sort of denim on? Or do I have to go down to NYC. I'm interested in the heavy (21 0z) jeans made by Samurai and Sugar Cane, but I'd like to see how they will fit before committing $300 to a pair of jeans.

I also like the looks of those Rag & Bones, but I figure I can find them at Louis Boston or something.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

Anyplace in Boston to actually try this sort of denim on? Or do I have to go down to NYC. I'm interested in the heavy (21 0z) jeans made by Samurai and Sugar Cane, but I'd like to see how they will fit before committing $300 to a pair of jeans.

I also like the looks of those Rag & Bones, but I figure I can find them at Louis Boston or something.

You can find the Rag & Bones at Barneys. Isn't Stel's in Boston?

4. mockingboy

mockingboy Senior member

[​IMG]

What type of APCs are those?

5. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Yeah, Stel is on Newbury, what do they carry?

You can find the Rag & Bones at Barneys. Isn't Stel's in Boston?

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

Yeah, Stel is on Newbury, what do they carry?

They have Nom De Guerre and I wouldn't be surprised if they had APC, Rag & Bone etc

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Okay then, what's the difference between the two Levi's in these links? Are either or both of these STF? I think I like the first, Dry Goods, better than the Brain Dead wash, but this whole thread has left me thinking that I have to question my judgement.

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....501xx-LVC.html

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....RAIN-DEAD.html

The second is not shrink to fit, it has touched water at least once through the processing. I would avoid them like the plague just due to the cheesy finish.

What type of APCs are those?

APC English

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Here we go. Here are my jeans: [​IMG] Here's a shot of the jeans+sportcoat look I sported today, but the jeans were so dark, I thought I'd give the closeup above too. Yes, I need to make the bed and put away the clothes. Thanks. Do your worst. [​IMG]

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

what jeans are those?

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

what jeans are those?

Do they look totally awful?

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Do they look totally awful?

I am not a fan of the outfit, but the jeans don't look terrible. I don't know how others do it, but I find it hard to say "awesome" or "utter crap" about jeans based on a photograph on the internet. There is really very little to go on. Like other pieces of clothing, you have a vague idea about silhouette, color, and sometimes (with the higher resolution pictures) texture, but not much else. I do dislike the outfit though. It looks (as is often the case) as if you had forgotten your odd trousers.

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I am not a fan of the outfit, but the jeans don't look terrible. I don't know how others do it, but I find it hard to say "awesome" or "utter crap" about jeans based on a photograph on the internet. There is really very little to go on. Like other pieces of clothing, you have a vague idea about silhouette, color, and sometimes (with the higher resolution pictures) texture, but not much else. I do dislike the outfit though. It looks (as is often the case) as if you had forgotten your odd trousers.
    And here I thought I had "pulled off" the elusive jeans-with-sportcoat look. [​IMG]

I see what you're saying. For a casual social gathering on a Saturday afternoon, odd trousers would have elevated the outfit to a level of formality that wasn't called for.

Anyway, my wife said I looked good. [​IMG]

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

They look ok. I wouldn't really wear jeans that stacked with a blazer and dressier shoes.

They also look kind of big at the crotch, but that could just be the photograph.

14. LA Guy

There are no Rag&Bones at Louis anymore (they stopped carrying them a while back) but Louis does have Spurr (they had an entire alcove on the third floor devoted to them. Stel's has APC and Nom de Guerre. Jean Therapy (in the Commonwealth hotel) has Rag&Bone, Kicking Mule Workshop, and a few other brands besides. RRL can be found at Concepts in Cambridge, MA. Concepts also carries some other decent brands besides (look it up, I forget.) If you want something more escoteric, Alan Bilzerian carries (or carried) Kohzo, Drkshdw, etc... He is having a 30-75% off sale right now (as every year, the discount depends on what season the piece was from), so you might want to check it out. Unlike every other store, Alan does not subscribe to the idea of "clearance." After the sale, pretty much everything goes back up to full price. On the other hand, very little does not go on sale.

15. LA Guy

Here we go. Here are my jeans:

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the jeans+sportcoat look I sported today, but the jeans were so dark, I thought I'd give the closeup above too. Yes, I need to make the bed and put away the clothes. Thanks. Do your worst.

[​IMG]

Don't listen to me. I'm a hipster doofus.

Really, though, the sportsjacket needs to be shorter... really, and it would have been better if you'd had shoes that were clearly to be worn with jeans. A suede or distressed leather chukka boot, for example, would have really elevated the look.