• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Demise of the 7-fold

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
Most college students aren't going to pluck down $60 for a half off tie. They'll buy the Tommy Hilfiger or something cheap because that's what I did. My splurge ties were Polo. Also the Cremuix items that I've owned I've had good luck with. IMO it's the best private label brand currently offered. Their suits are made by HSM, and they will be offering a a suit in the $1,200 price range that will be canvassed. I'll be curius to see these when they are in.

Understanding this diverts from the tie theme of the thread, but I posted a Daniel Cremieux suit in the 'cool suits on ebay' thread (or whatever it's called) at the top of the B&S section b/c it was made in Italy and I think was Loro Piana fabric. A couple of very sharp forum members identified the pocket tag of the maker as Isaia. They may be sold at Dillards, but I think they're doing a better job than most department store brands at producing some decent products. Maybe not decent by Felix Krull standards, but it beats the hell out of Alfani.

the truth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I might add that several of my Kitons are lined but with the same silk as the facing. Very luxurious in effect. No interlining at all, just all silk.

I have also tried the Talbott's but they are much lighter and don't have the drape I like. They are true unlined ties but the point is not finished as neatly as I would like.

Did Massimo tell you all of this? Do you need me to get a razor and a Kiton tie out to disabuse you of these silly notions?

set you free

Reaction score
True seven-fold ties are still just ties. They are no better or worse than any other good tie. If you really want something exclusive, stick your thumb on an ink pad and print the blade.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have many of the Kiton 7*like folds. Didn't we decide they were like double four folds a while back? No matter. To me it was about the extra quality and drape and nice weight. They seem to create a very nice knot. Many of the patterns are of a neat type which I find lasts through fashion trends.

If you like conservative patterns and a substantial tie, I think Marinella has Kiton beat hands down. There are some pretty hideous Kiton ties while Marinella hardly ever puts out a dud.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the silk is very thick, a lined 6 fold will be more useful than an unlined seven fold. At least that's been my experience.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Unless the silk is very thick, a lined 6 fold will be more useful than an unlined seven fold. At least that's been my experience.

Useful how so?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the fact more stores are carrying 7 folds at a lower price is actually a good thing. This means that a new generation of young men will be introduced to the beauty of a 7 fold.

I can't wait until we start making 7 folds again. I've been working hard trying to find a local tailor that can make them well enough to meet my high standards. The level of difficulty in constructing a seven fold is so high, major intervention is required on my part. This makes it nearly impossible right now for me to outsource this to Italy like my six folds.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
I think that the fact more stores are carrying 7 folds at a lower price is actually a good thing. This means that a new generation of young men will be introduced to the beauty of a 7 fold.

I can't wait until we start making 7 folds again. I've been working hard trying to find a local tailor that can make them well enough to meet my high standards. The level of difficulty in constructing a seven fold is so high, major intervention is required on my part. This makes it nearly impossible right now for me to outsource this to Italy like my six folds.

Keep on making ties like the one in your avatar. It is the best tie that I own.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander

Exactly! I can't see this event in a negative light if it helps improve the way the average Joe dresses.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I've never seen them advertize their ties as sevens, have you? Their advertizing is basically lifestyle advertizing that gives no details of their product...e.g., the photo at the top here.

What salesmen say in a store, well, that's another matter. Ignorance is rife.

- B

Note the mafoo-esque tie blade on the right.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Good for Dillards!

My favorite department store strikes again.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Exactly! I can't see this event in a negative light if it helps improve the way the average Joe dresses.

But it doesn't improve the way anyone dresses. The number of folds doesn't make a tie look any better or worse. In fact, most six and seven-fold ties I see are hideously ugly; they are often designed and made for people to show them off, which means they tend to be bulky and garish.

The more likely effect of popularizing seven-folds will be the increasing perception that the expense, bulk, and muti-foldedness of one's tie makes him better dressed.

Dashing1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
While I was meandering through Dillards, to my shock and dismay, I noticed that they are now selling 7-fold ties there under the Daniel Cremieux label. To add insult to injury, they had many of them marked down 50% off from the original $120 price point.

One of the best kept secrets in all of men's fashion is now readily available to any college student willing to plunk down $60 for their big day at the career fair. I felt like I was going to be sick. Five years ago, the only two makers of 7-folds that were readily available were from Kiton or R. Talbott. Not anymore, now you can go to Dillards and get one!

I take solace in the fact that they haven't yet besmirched the exclusivity of the 9-fold, of which I proudly own several from the Private Stock label. Alas, it is only a matter of time until that too can be found at K-Mart during their blue light special.

Was this dilemma originally on an episode of "Frazier"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads