• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dell computer service, a sad story

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
What baffles me is how the girl in my garage apartment can ....

Creepy factor increase 40%
smile.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is Dell for the past year.

I'm going to seriously consider starting to short them. No company can be as big a POS as this joke and maintain it's stock price.

I won't pull the trigger without some due diligence though. With my luck some white knight would come along and buy Dell at a premium.

But given today's access to financing and the intrinsic value of this pile of ****. Who might possibly buy them and add value?

Some of you guys are a LOT more financially astute than I. Anyone have a comment?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a comment?
Don't make investment decisions in a worked-up emotional state.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Don't make investment decisions in a worked-up emotional state.

Thanks Greg, Very good advice and I'll follow it.

But one good thing is that this has opened my eyes to doing due diligence.

No rush decisions by me.

Night Owl

Reaction score
You guys might as well be speaking Greek.

What baffles me is how the girl in my garage apartment can be so good at design and software yet not know any more hardware than I do.

Is that common?

Originally Posted by JustinW
Creepy factor increase 40%
smile.gif

snork[1].gif

It was already maxed out for me after seeing pics of rnolds 'personal trainer' who apparently gets paid in crack rox and the single mexican moms that he 'helps out'

No comment!

But I will say, personal trainers:

IMG_0005-1.jpg

are far superior to mistresses. Here is my long terrm trainer
smile.gif

The roles are defined and wer're engaging in a self help activity
laugh.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
snork[1].gif

It was already maxed out for me after seeing pics of rnolds 'personal trainer' who apparently gets paid in crack rox and the single mexican moms that he 'helps out'

Since you have the time, show me a link to "Paying in crack rox".

montyharding

Reaction score
I'm on hold with Dell for 2 hours now. And 5 hours last night! I had bought what I thought was a decent computer. A DEll XPS M1330 ( loaded to the hilt ). Now it turns out there are "issues", especially motherboard problems. I have the extended warranty but it's like they want to wear you down. Keep you on hold till you give up, or connect you to India where you will encounter language understanding problems.
Sorry to hear that. I hear more problems with this pile of **** than anything else Dell sells. And I've had a litany of problems as long as my arm, and crappy XPS support with the same machine while having zero support problems with their business notebooks - and even their (cheaper) Studio's. I dunno what it is, but they screwed up big-time with the M1330.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many local computer shops will custom-build a machine to your specs, and offer service plans/warranties. Much easier to drive over to the store than deal with an overseas call center.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Many local computer shops will custom-build a machine to your specs, and offer service plans/warranties. Much easier to drive over to the store than deal with an overseas call center.

That sounds ideal but isn't there a real risk that the shop will close or go out of the business, leaving you with no counterparty to the service contract?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What baffles me is how the girl in my garage apartment can be so good at design and software yet not know any more hardware than I do.

Is that common?

Yes. Specialization takes a toll. Fortunately I have a flinty streak that mates up very nicely with my curiosity, so for the most part I take on a lot of DIY-type stuff, including computers.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That sounds ideal but isn't there a real risk that the shop will close or go out of the business, leaving you with no counterparty to the service contract?

That is, of course a risk, and I don't know what you have available locally, but around here there are several places that are reliable and sell/service laptops to both businesses and consumers. These places have much less of a chance of going out of business because they do volume. I'd ask around locally and figure out who the bigger "little guys" in your area are. Also there are online boutique places that may be local, or at least close. Sager and the like will usually have local contracted repair facilities as well if i remember correctly.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Apples mostly now, but I still have my trusty Lenovo. Great customer support and warranties.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that common?

I've known several people that, by nature of their research, have to write code a lot. They don't know the first thing about computer hardware though.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It also doesn't really work for laptops, especially small laptops like the one he has.

I'm honestly surprised he's getting service this bad. I told my sis to get one and hers has been great. My own experience is mostly on the business side, but it's also been very good. The one time i had to replace a redundant power supply, I had the part the next morning after talking to them in the afternoon. I had actually pulled the PSU out myself to examine it, and it was just a fan that wasn't spinning. I tested it with a different fan and it worked fine so it wasn't a problem on the PSU's PCB. i told them i'd be happy to swap the fan myself but I got an entirely new unit from them. I've also had great experiences with sales.

I'm sure part of this is just dealing with a huge company. As a rule, it's generally more unpleasant than not. Statistically i'd be surprised if Dell was any worse than HP or Apple. Still, I don't know why he's waiting on hold for 5 hours. That's beyond absurd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads