• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dell complete care?!

dropbeats

Reaction score
Hey again I had another quick question for everyone.

Im about to buy my first laptop yay and I was afraid of it breaking. Should I get the complete care waranty from dell that covers accidents? or just stick with the 1 year? Anyone use the complete care fro damages?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropbeats
Hey again I had another quick question for everyone.

Im about to buy my first laptop yay and I was afraid of it breaking. Should I get the complete care waranty from dell that covers accidents? or just stick with the 1 year? Anyone use the complete care fro damages?

I always get the complete care when purchaseing a laptop.

Its really piece of mind and you can expect your laptop to take some abuse.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the only consumer warranty I buy. Though, if you do the math it is usually about a third the price of the unit. I travel quite a bit with mine and it does take some abuse, so I pay for the peace of mind too.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought an IBM T42 3 years ago, along with a 3 year in-home warranty, at a subsantial cost. Since then, I had the screen replaced twice, and few other minor things. The cost of these replacements was more than the laptop itself. So, when it's time to replace my laptop with a X61s, I bought another 3 year of warranty.

That said, IBM is really good with their warranty. I wouldn't know anything about Dell's.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check with your credit card company to see if they double warranties. I opted to just pay for my computer with my credit card for a 2 year warranty at no cost over paying extra for a 3 year warranty.

Syl

Reaction score
The answer really depends on how tech savvy you are, and how you'll be using the laptop. My sister bought a Dell w/ the warranty many years ago when she was going to spend a yr in Japan. Long story short, it worked out really well as many things broke and being in a foreign country, being able to get things couriered to her door worked well. She did abuse the unit though.

I've owned a laptop (more like desktop substitute) that never really left the desk so after 4 yrs, it's finally starting to crack (i.e. the hinge on the screen is gone). Quite honestly, given the age, a warranty would not have been cost effective.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
The answer really depends on how tech savvy you are, and how you'll be using the laptop. My sister bought a Dell w/ the warranty many years ago when she was going to spend a yr in Japan. Long story short, it worked out really well as many things broke and being in a foreign country, being able to get things couriered to her door worked well. She did abuse the unit though.

I've owned a laptop (more like desktop substitute) that never really left the desk so after 4 yrs, it's finally starting to crack (i.e. the hinge on the screen is gone). Quite honestly, given the age, a warranty would not have been cost effective.

I don't think it depends on how savvy you are. For one, laptop parts aren't as common as desktop parts. It's not like you can pop in a new graphics card once one craps out. Second, if you can find parts, they're often expensive. Third, since a laptop is moved often, it's more prone to failure than a desktop. So, even if you work for Geek Squad, an extended warranty is still beneficial.

I'm the last guy who'd buy warranties for electronics, since they depreciate so much. But, a laptop, I'd make an exception for.

dropbeats

Reaction score
right on I got the laptop and got the complete care from your advise. It seems worth it for $99

mikej77

Reaction score
I got the complete care for my Dell XPS Laptop. I have had to replace the motherboard and the keyboard. On both occasions, Dell sent a technician to my house within two days and fixed the computer. Well worth it.

brittain

Reaction score
Ive taken advantage of the dell and HP warranties several times and would definitely recommend them. I just sent back my HP to get have them fix some minor repairs and as usual they did a complete overhaul of the laptop, replacing about half of the system. One thing I like better about the Dell is that they come to you, HP makes you send it in to their service center.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
The Dell warranty is great. I have several friends with 4-year old Dell laptops who got their screens, CD trays, keyboards etc. replaced just before the warranty expired. A lot of the damage done to these computers resulted from them being thrown around and beaten up, but Dell still covered.

Applecare on the other hand is pure shite. Only covers factory errors @ ridiculous prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads