1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Delicious Wines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Terlato cab is pretty good.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    some of their american wines are very good. they own many wineries now.

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

i'm with my little round buddy on this one. but we may be talking at cross-purposes. Are California wines generally a good bargain? no. But are there good bargains in California? Sure. And are those bargains usually blends? I think so.

I agree with this. There are some good cheap blends from CA and what generally makes them good is that they aren't "California-ized" what with wood chip treatments, etc. I remember when BV Rutherford was $12 and was an awesome wine, along with Beringer Knights Valley, and Mondavi Napa. All were solid, well made wines that were great expressions of Napa cab without being oaked to death, or with 16% alcohol. Ahh, those were the good old days. These days when I'm looking for value, I look to Italy and France.

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

A local wine shop turned me onto a rose Cremant d'Alsace from Allimant Laugner made from 100 percent pinot noir that is really delicious. Only $20. It looks like K&L has it for mail-order, too.

--Andre

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

A local wine shop turned me onto a rose Cremant d'Alsace from Allimant Laugner made from 100 percent pinot noir that is really delicious. Only $20. It looks like K&L has it for mail-order, too.

--Andre

nice, underappreciated category.

6. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Picked up a Tavel Rose tonight. Will be looking for an opportunity to quaff my ass off.

7. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Picked up a Tavel Rose tonight. Will be looking for an opportunity to quaff my ass off.

I love how incredibly dry these are.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

nice, underappreciated category.

LOL thanks. I actually read that article right after I posted, and went "Doh!" But, yeah, definitely underappreciated.

--Andre

9. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I've been drinking mostly (only?) Portuguese wines from the Douro and Dao regions lately. Fantastic QPR, every time.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of cheap New Zealand Sauv Blancs, especially in warm weather (which I had tonight with my wine in Dallas). There is a strong family resemblance from bottle to bottle -they all seem to taste of green apple and fresh dill.

You should also try their Pinot Noir, Otargo region ones are drinking very well at present.

Myself had a bottle of Bay of Fires Tasmanian Pinot Noir, last night wonderful on the palate a gem to drink.

Gravel Pit Shiraz Viognier not too plumby or jammy as I have found some S/V of late, very easy drinking wine with a lot of depth, good back palate. Other wise Laughing Magpie a consistently good S/V.

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I've been drinking mostly (only?) Portuguese wines from the Douro and Dao regions lately. Fantastic QPR, every time.

I've recently learned that even in Pennsylvania (where wine & liquor is sold only at state stores), a pretty decent Douro only costs about $10.

12. braised

braised Senior member

OK, we're on summer wines.

Rose is good, but when the heat comes I love the southern French wines made from the regional grapes. Think Colombard and Ugni Blanc.

Domaine La Salette, although cheap at under $10 a bottle, is light and bright. And more than $30 the last time I saw it, Domaine Ott rings in as the heavy weight in the category. You can have the Rose, I want the Blanc de Blanc (Semillon and Ugni Blanc).

B

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

When I look for cheap reds, I generally stick to Italy and South America. YMMV.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

While I just about completely agree with Manton on the whole CA = single varietal thing and that the AOC was a codification of tradition, not the other way 'round as someone has posited, I would note that the Paso area is making some very good Rhone style blends.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

lame question I suppose - but what exactly does "rhone style blend" mean? Is it just code for using syrah and grenache as major components in the blend, or do the flavor profiles have a tendency to mimic the Hermitages, Cote-Roties, and Chateaneufs of the Rhone region?

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

lame question I suppose - but what exactly does "rhone style blend" mean? Is it just code for using syrah and grenache as major components in the blend, or do the flavor profiles have a tendency to mimic the Hermitages, Cote-Roties, and Chateaneufs of the Rhone region?
    I think this but I don't have much experience with them.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think it is a form of short hand. As some of you know better than I, 21 grapes are sanctioned for use when Rhone is looked at in total. However, many areas have a far smaller number of grapes proscribed for use, with I think, even a few appellations only allowing one grape. Then subdivide that roughly into northern (Syrah based) and southern (Grenache based) and you have a butt load of different blends going on.

So my suspicion is it's used as short hand for, "A blended wine that could be made from these grapes in Rhone" but eliminates potential consumer confusion over all the different grape varietals that could be used.

I've also noticed a fairly recent trend where a brand identification is being attempted for the so-called "GSM" wines, make of Grenache, Syrah, and Mouvedre.

IMO, it would seem to me the Paso area would be tailor made for making lush, southern Rhone type blends. The Booker and Saxxum I've tasted support this.

18. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's all about the garrigue. [​IMG]

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i'm not exactly sure what the question means, really. no offense. certainly rhone grhapes, but also, i think, a certain rhone style as well. there are cali syrahs that taste nothing like rhone and don't play that game at all. the question then becomes whether the "rhone rangers" are making rhone wines that have failed (don't taste the same as the originals), or whether they're making wines -- some of them pretty good -- that are "inspired by" the flavors of the rhone. just as cabs may be "inspired by" bordeaux, but don't taste just like them, and pinots are "inspired by" burgundy, without tasting just like them. or, for that matter, american "italian" food (even the "authentic" stuff) and "french" food isn't exactly the same.
    rather than asking whether it tastes like Rayas, it's probably more interesting to ask whether it tastes good.