Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Deliberately non-fashionable

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rocker, Oct 22, 2004.

1. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

That is partially correct - the wristwatch was invented earlier by Patek Philippe, but was used principally by women. Louis Cartier adapted the design with a leather strap and buckle for Alberto Santos-Dumont, a Brazilian balloonist and heavier-than-air flight pioneer. Santos-Dumont, so the story goes, wanted to keep both his hands on the controls while checking time. This association was responsible for the popularization of the wristwatch among men.

That is also why there is a recurring theme of Santos in Cartier products.

2. Rocker

Rocker Well-Known Member

1) If I understand the question correctly, wearing a pocket watch in the breast pocket with an attachment to the lapel buttonhole is a practical solution to wearing a pocket watch when you're not wearing a vest so, it seems more common on double breated suits.

2) The mass movement, as I understand it, to wearing wristwatches instead of carrying pocket watches was WWI. It was easier/more practical to keep a timpiece on one's wrist rather than fumbling around through trench coats, tunics, Sam Brown belts, etc. and trying to find one's pocket watch.

3. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

I have read that three things; the fork, the cigarette, and the wristwatch were all thought to be effeminate at first to the average rugged American frontiersman. They preferred eating with their knife alone, the cigar, and the pocketwatch. After the introduction of each, it took over a decade for each to be commonly accepted.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

5. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by Rocker:
    No, I never would do something to deliberately call attention to myself. The huge problem that I see would be that one would be treading a fine line between affectation and oddity. And that would be worsened if one does not have the correct attitude/bearing.

6. Comolli

Comolli Member

Good Friends:  I had the pleasure of attending the University of Virginia back in the 60s when the school was all-men and when everyone was required to wear a coat and tie to class.  I got a good education on what clothes to wear, which was then natural shoulder ivy league, and I have carried it on till today.  Wearing the clothes Rocker says he wears as some kind of rebellion is for many of us just something that comes natural.  I remember when I was in school William Faulkner was the writer in residence and I would always marvel at the clothes Bill wore:  mostly old khakis and a tattered Harris tweed with elbow patches and a narrow tie then fashionable.  And he also wore Aldens and ever had a pipe in his mouth.  He was third base coach for the UVA baseball team and he often wore this ensemble when he coached third base.  I think what he wore was stylish then and I try to imitate that look even now forty years out.  But I never try to wear anything that is other than what suits my mind.  There has to be a personal feeling for what is stylish, and this can only be developed over time.  That is the way I view the American tradition.  It is inward looking and not outward.

7. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

RE "deliberately not fashionable"-

For reasons I couldn't explain, I've never liked the appearance of the unclosed waistcoat button. So my vests have always been cut with a working button at the bottom. Why? As I say, not even I know.

8. Boulevardier

Boulevardier Active Member

Ain't the Internet great. Never thought that I would encounter so many .......well, a half dozen or so ...pocket watch wearers.I am also inordinately fond of waistcoats.I am not sure whether I am being 'deliberately' unfashionable or not, but I surely hope that this 'quirk' of mine stays unfashionable.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I've always had a tendency to swim against the stream. Probably would have gotten a lot further in this ol' world of woe and dread otherwise. Beyond dressing more elegantly than the overwhelming majority of SoCal males--an almost effortless accomplishment--my major unfashionable "standout" statements would be: 1. Fedoras (almost always when I'm out of doors) 2. Bow ties (occasionally) 3. Spectators and white bucks (summer) Amusingly, all three drive that middlebrow philistine of a wife of mine just batty. [​IMG]

10. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

I'd almost forgotten: at the start of my freshman year in college, I continued wearing coat and tie, as had been required by my high school dress code... until I became weary of being conspicuous and having people tell me how "nice" and "dressed up" I looked (I've always considered it vulgar to dress in a manner that calls undue attention to myself). So gradually, I transitioned into jeans, polo shirts, etc., and felt more comfortable in my newfound sartorial anonymity.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

They can keep their Diesels, Papers, Wranglers, etc. I live and die by Levis 501 blue button flies. The original and they still work.

12. Tom

Tom Senior member

I wear the occasional bow tie, my sport coat has contrast stitching, and I am a big fan of vests... but the one thing I really like, that most of you will probably be appalled to hear, is my class ring. Yep, big ol class ring. [​IMG] -Tom

13. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Well for goodness' sake, Tom, if the rest of us had gone to Slippery Rock State Teachers' College, we'd wear one too.

14. Rocker

Rocker Well-Known Member

Well, Tom, I still wear my university ring and, like yours, it's a plain gold ring with a crest (not a "bejewelled" monstrosity) I don't think twice about wearing it. Most of my college friends still wear theirs as well and I've even struck up conversations with partners in previous firms who either because they recognized my ring or vice versa were unknown to me as fellow alumni until I saw the ring. If wearing ti is wrong - I don't want to be right. [​IMG]

15. SOtto

SOtto Active Member

Are you my clone or vice-versa?
    I live in Atlanta and I often wear a 3 piece suit or a vest, with my inherited pocket watch and a gold chain. I also wear a blue seersucker suit and white bucks (or black/white specs) in the summer.
    I am a lot older than you, but I am also so DELIBERATELY not fashionable or non-trendy, that I do not currently own any jeans (but I admit I owned a pair in college). I also never "do" casual Fridays and even [rarely] don a coat and tie to go to a movie.
    In fact, you are invited to join Comolli and me sometime for our "Fashion Friday" lunch, which requires formal attire and often includes a sidetrip to Brooks or Bennie's. Harry aka tdial, who has posted about the custom suit he had made at Mario Bosco on Piedmont Road, wants to join us sometime soon. I also invited (Atlantan) JrLeague, who posts about AmTrad on Ask Andy, but I have not heard back from him.

3 piece suit in Hot @$$ Atlanta. You guys are sadists or [​IMG] s. I do like the idea of a pocket watch with chain and fob. I also inherited one from my maternal grandfather. He recieved it from an Italian Roman Catholic Priest in the 30's in my country of origin, Uganda. It was a wedding present. Mom gave it to me to remember him since I only saw him once as a 1year old. I would wear it on the rare occasion that it gets cold in Atlanta to warrant a 3 piece but....... On a 21year old Undergraduate it looks like I'm trying to hard. Plus Old men can't stand for youngsters who dress well especially, if they are handsome, like myself. So I likes to keep it plain and simple so I can [​IMG]