• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

delete

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am quite new to this.

I just recently purchased my first high quality dress shoe, Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. I only wore the shoe to try it on to get a feel for them by walking around for maybe a min or so. Should I still put in the shoetree when I haven't really wore it or should I just leave it in the felt bag and the original box for now till I actually wear it. I am planning to wear it soon for this upcoming wedding that I am going to. Thanks.

My shoes tend to be one of two ways.

Either on my feet or with shoe trees inside them.

Right after wearing them I might let them air out for a bit, but then in go the trees.

If the trees are a good fit they not only absorb perspiration they also help to keep the shoes in the right shape.

ptr1988

Reaction score
Yes I understand after wearing them for a while like an hour or so, moving around, you would need to put in a shoetree to keep the shape. But would you really need to put a tree shoe in the shoe that has not been worn for over 5 mins? Or lets say you just bought a new dress shoe and the size you know is perfect, so you dont wear them to test them on. Do you still need to put in a shoetree right away?

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I understand after wearing them for a while like an hour or so, moving around, you would need to put in a shoetree to keep the shape. But would you really need to put a tree shoe in the shoe that has not been worn for over 5 mins? Or lets say you just bought a new dress shoe and the size you know is perfect, so you dont wear them to test them on. Do you still need to put in a shoetree right away?
What else would you have me do with my shoe trees? LOL My shoes are one of two ways. On my feet or stored away with trees inside of them.

Last edited:

Grumpton

Reaction score
Shoe trees go in the shoes as soon as I have them. That's where they just go. Otherwise, why would I take up twice the space? Do they have to go in new shoes? Probably not. Would I intentionally keep them out of the shoes for that reason just to take up more space in the closet? Pfft. (Sarcasm intended, offence not intended)

doodledoc

Reaction score
Put them in now. I have 5 extra shoe trees that I just bought. When I get my next pair via mail, I'll try the shoes on and if I decide to keep them, in goes the shoe trees.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just put the damm shoe trees in your damm shoes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics