• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delay with auctions appearing on eBay?

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed that when I list things on eBay, it takes HOURS for them to actually show up...What's the deal with that? I posted things at 9:30ish central time...It's now 1:45 am and still they dont show up.

Is this a known issue? Am I marsupialed to feel cheated?

hanker565

Reaction score
This happens to most of my auctions...I asked customer support but they didn't have anything useful to say.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is absolutely infuriating but there is nothing you can do about it. I've had stuff take as long as 14 hours to show up.

Considering that auctions get most of their views when they are starting and ending, ebay charging full price for listings that don't show up for a half a day is WRONG imo.

clintonf

Reaction score
I listed some items on the UK site at around 10:30 on a weekday. They didn't appear in the search until around the same time the following day!!

Go figure. I'm sure eBay could offer some reason, but it's probably to do with some basic brand authentication checking (some items take longer to list than others) and then some search optimisation on the items.

However, it is REALLY annoying to have to wait a day to see your listings! So, no, you're not marsupialed to be upset.

Clint

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished a little chat with a representative... Their reason is that the items have to be indexed. They also said that editing the listing will further delay the items from showing up.

I brought up the point that I chose 7 day listing, not 6 day 12 hour listing and was responded to in a flippant manner..."eBay takes this into account, that's why 3 day listings are the same price as 7 day listings"...Doesn't really make much sense.

I want someone to kill eBay
frown.gif

Karo

Reaction score
Mine usually shows up after a few hours. I don't even bother checking it anymore, ebay is a stinky bumhole.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a habitual ebay buyer & browser for almost ten years, and it has long, and maybe always, been this way.

Typically the new Sunday night listings are not available until Monday morning; Monday morning has always been a good time to run searches and find good newly listed items. You can tell they were listed the previous night because the items are showing up with 6 days 14 hours to go.

It also seems to me that the Sunday night listings are the ones that get delayed the most, perhaps because ebay has persuaded everyone that Sunday night is the be$t time to start auctions. So there's a traffic jam of new listings.

During the work week, on the other hand, it's not uncommon to find listings with 6 days 23 hours to go.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Yes, I have encountered this problem recently.

It does interfere with your sale, since your auction isn't showing up in search until a day later or so. I contacted live support on ebay, they told me that its going through the process of getting on to their system, and for me to wait.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
I just finished a little chat with a representative... Their reason is that the items have to be indexed. They also said that editing the listing will further delay the items from showing up.

I brought up the point that I chose 7 day listing, not 6 day 12 hour listing and was responded to in a flippant manner..."eBay takes this into account, that's why 3 day listings are the same price as 7 day listings"...Doesn't really make much sense.

I want someone to kill eBay

Did the rep actually say that? Man...
crackup[1].gif

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can do better than a few hours delay, look at stilmacher's items as seen from ebay.it and ebay.com (in ebay.it he seems to have no items on sale ...)

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is true or not for everybody, but I've found that the more expensive the item I'm listing is, the longer it takes to load onto the ebay site...
anyone else notice this? is ebay checking listings now-a-days for scams/replicas/etc...?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the deal with that?
As hinted at above, ebay has tons of servers that your data needs to get saved on. This is why you might get your item in one search (your web request hit the server that it's already on), and why you might not get it on another search (you hit a server that does not yet have it).

Originally Posted by whusurdadi
I don't know if this is true or not for everybody, but I've found that the more expensive the item I'm listing is, the longer it takes to load onto the ebay site...
anyone else notice this? is ebay checking listings now-a-days for scams/replicas/etc...?

Wasn't that one of the changes they implemented not too long ago? They want you to list with low prices, not high ones, and this was one of their ways to "encourage" this. The item price also determines how well it shows in the search results now as well, from what I understand.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I listed items, one of my etro jackets didn't show up on ANY searches except for "view sellers other items". It was listed 100% correctly. for 6 days, nothing. I didn't realize this until I wondered why no one had seen it. After revising the auction (by editing nothing), it magically appeared.
frown.gif

Be careful guys, a screw up like this might happen to you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads