Degrees that can actually land you a decent job

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TylerDurden, May 14, 2009.

1. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

19th Century American Film

[​IMG]

Especially funny since there were no films in the 19th century. Its...like...the perfect liberal arts major. I can imagine the thesis paper already...

2. otc

otc Senior member

Don't underestimate the power of jobs like electricians and plumbers (maybe carpenters/house painters too?) to make 6 figures without a collge degree.

Sure there is a learning curve but its not a bad deal...and can be done anywhere.

3. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Supply and demand for the trades.

Everyone is told they need to go to college to be anything, so there aren't as many people going into the trades as there were when college was reserved for white males, middle class and up only pls.

Also, electricians, plumbers, pipefitters, etc require certifications. That acts as a barrier to entry against unskilled laborers from Mexico, who go to work in landscaping, drywall, painting, masons, concrete, etc (which don't require certs).

Add on top of this that most people in the US want the lights to come on when they flick a switch, want to charge their iPod and laptop, and want to be able to take a dump without walking outside to the outhouse. So there is a lot of demand for the services.

But plumbing is a crappy job [​IMG]

You could look at a rewarding career in HVAC installation and repair. People have gotten used to central heating and air conditioning, and I don't see them turning loose of it anytime soon.

4. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

sack up and do engineering or another science based field. the math isn't that hard.

5. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

Supply and demand for the trades.

Everyone is told they need to go to college to be anything, so there aren't as many people going into the trades as there were when college was reserved for white males, middle class and up only pls.

Also, electricians, plumbers, pipefitters, etc require certifications. That acts as a barrier to entry against unskilled laborers from Mexico, who go to work in landscaping, drywall, painting, masons, concrete, etc (which don't require certs).

Add on top of this that most people in the US want the lights to come on when they flick a switch, want to charge their iPod and laptop, and want to be able to take a dump without walking outside to the outhouse. So there is a lot of demand for the services.

But plumbing is a crappy job [​IMG]

You could look at a rewarding career in HVAC installation and repair. People have gotten used to central heating and air conditioning, and I don't see them turning loose of it anytime soon.

My only suggestion to the aspiring tradesman is to take care of your body. I work at a golf course, and yes, there are some well-off plumbers, electricians, general contractors, etc. By the same token, the few I know have health problems related to their work (but an office job can cause health problems too, so take care of yourself either way).

FWIW, I saw an electrician using an Escalade as his work-truck today, so business must not be too bad. I know an HVAC guy too, they can charge a ton per hour, especially if it's emergency/off-hour service.

I'm doing accounting, but if I turn out to hate the job, I wouldn't mind getting into a trade. My other backup is being a cop, but the trades are probably safer and without the negative job aspects.

6. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Supply and demand for the trades. Everyone is told they need to go to college to be anything, so there aren't as many people going into the trades as there were when college was reserved for white males, middle class and up only pls. Also, electricians, plumbers, pipefitters, etc require certifications. That acts as a barrier to entry against unskilled laborers from Mexico, who go to work in landscaping, drywall, painting, masons, concrete, etc (which don't require certs). Add on top of this that most people in the US want the lights to come on when they flick a switch, want to charge their iPod and laptop, and want to be able to take a dump without walking outside to the outhouse. So there is a lot of demand for the services. But plumbing is a crappy job [​IMG] You could look at a rewarding career in HVAC installation and repair. People have gotten used to central heating and air conditioning, and I don't see them turning loose of it anytime soon.
    and you can be a lonely housewife's new man, Jody

7. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Actuarial Science.

Math.

8. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

Actuarial Science.

Math.

If you don't have the personality to be an accountant [​IMG]

9. emosstheboss

emosstheboss Senior member

shit life would be easier if you were a woman

10. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

FWIW, I saw an electrician using an Escalade as his work-truck today, so business must not be too bad. I know an HVAC guy too, they can charge a ton per hour, especially if it's emergency/off-hour service.

Oh I forgot about that part. People really want their air conditioning in July. Imagine that [​IMG]

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Oh I forgot about that part. People really want their air conditioning in July. Imagine that [​IMG]

true, but honestly its a pretty tough field to work in, If i wanted to get into the trades i'd become a carpenter or electrician first.

Regardless, get a business degree in Accounting or Finance, both are very useful, even if you dont want to work in those fields. Afterwards you can do mostly anything, you can run your own business, join the trades (if you still want to), ect.

12. unjung

unjung Senior member

The problem with the trades is, to me, the income cap, compared to many (but not all) other fields. And you're blue collar. That's too close to unions and Joe the Plumber for comfort.
    Saskatoon? Regina?
    Calgary. "Relative" being the key word. Relative to cities on the coasts.

13. KenN

KenN Senior member

Lots of engineers around these parts... strange considering most engineers I know don't dress well at all.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Lots of engineers around these parts... strange considering most engineers I know don't dress well at all.
    Most engineers are ISTJs, and therefore tend to fit the stereotype. But a smaller group within engineering are INTJs, ow whom SF has a disproportionate number. Such people (as engineers or otherwise) take attire quite seriously. This is my hypothesis. ~ H