• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive ruling on Woolite please

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Some say yea, others nay.

Is Woolite a good cleaner/detergent for handwashing wool and cashmere sweaters? If not, why not? If not, what do you recommend that is fairly readily available?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by it and use it often... highly recommended!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I use it and am very pleased with the results. You can also get the kind designed for dark colors, supposidly to combat fading, though I have personally not tried this.

I have also heard you can use baby shampoo on fine knit goods as an alternative to Woolite.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need something gentler, there's always Nancy Boy.

alflauren

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with Woolite, but a thread on the forum here clued me in to Forever New, which is a delicates/lingerie detergent. It also does a nice job on woolens, and seems to be a little easier to rinse.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I used to use Woolite, but after hearing some negative things about it, I switched to Forever New.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Woolite is dishsoap.
I don't think so. It feels different, rinses differently, suds differently. I wouldn't use dishsoap on my clothes, it's quite harsh.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love woolite. Just got some Woolite Dark this time around. Can't say if it is any better, I never really noticed fading with either though. I think drying is where the fading comes from. I hardly ever dry my clothes for more than a minute or so, if ever.

I just put some brand new dark brown BR dress chinos in the wash and dried them quite a bit just to see if they would shrink any before taking them to get hemmed. I feel like the dryer faded them ever so slightly. I wont put them in the dryer again.

The only dress shirt I have that has faded is an Alfani Macy's brand that I used Cheer on a couple of times. I actually bought PH paper and tested all the detergents that my mom had in her cupboard. I don't have a chart with me but I remember Woolite had the most neutral PH, as did the Arm and Hammer gentle stuff (Delicare, i think it is called, used this too with no problems). The other brands she had were at least +1 more basic on the PH scale. Don't quote me but I think the brands were Cheer, All, and Purex.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While Woolite is definitely the best of the mainstream detergents (Nancy Boy the best of the high end niche stuff, in my opinion), an Alfani shirt fading is likely just as much the fault of the shirt as it is whatever detergent used with it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
While Woolite is definitely the best of the mainstream detergents (Nancy Boy the best of the high end niche stuff, in my opinion), an Alfani shirt fading is likely just as much the fault of the shirt as it is whatever detergent used with it.

Yeah Alfani isn't exactly the cream of the crop, but I have a black Alfani shirt that I have only used Woolite on that is still pretty black. On the other faded shirt, the blue and brown stripes have lost their vibrance. Most of my dress shirts are fairly pedestrian compared to the high quality seen on this forum, but they have held up well with proper care.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use/swear by Woolite regular and dark.

One negative comment I heard round these parts was Woolite deteriorates the elastic in garments. Can't find the thread, but I believe it was about 4 -5months ago. Never had experience with this problem myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads