• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive Guide to Montreal Shopping

bsyde82

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! Yea, I figured there would be no counterpart to Soho (there really is no counterpart in the US as far as I know). The boutique/cafe place sounds nice, right up my alley.

I'm going to be there Memorial day weekend (Thurs - Sun). There for a bachelor party, but I'll have downtime to explore on my own. Any areas like Nolita? Love quaint little neighborhoods with a nice mix of boutiques, cafes and restaurants where I can just chill and people watch and do a little street photography. I like historic hoods too.

I'm guessing my dinner spots are already chosen, but would take any suggestions for brunch/lunch, happy hour. Thanks again, much appreciated.

bsyde82

Reaction score
Jvog - any other cafe recs? I have a thing for cafes with design-level ambiance, if there's anything like that in Montreal. Given that it's European/French, is cafe culture big in Montreal?

What about parks? Does Montreal have anything resembling Vancouver and its close proximity to nature?

thanks again

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Jvog - any other cafe recs? I have a thing for cafes with design-level ambiance, if there's anything like that in Montreal. Given that it's European/French, is cafe culture big in Montreal?

What about parks? Does Montreal have anything resembling Vancouver and its close proximity to nature?

thanks again

I suggest you check out a guide or website, Montréal=mount royal=named cause there is a mountain inside the city and thus a ******* mountain park there. You'd know this if you read the intro to any mildly reputable source.

Lollie

Reaction score
Les Étoffes carries SNS Herning,Dana Lee, Christophe Lemaire, Patrick Ervell, Unis...Good albeit small selection.

As far as cafes, take a walk in the Mile End neighborhood, where there is about 1 coffeeshop per square foot. Falco (conceptual, beautiful Japanese themed cafe), Olimpico (Italian cafe), Myriad, Art Café (the food here is good, they do brunches too)...Look it up!

Old Montreal is nice/has many boutiques but is touristy. Olive et gourmando might be my fav coffeeshop/lunch place (very "European" and on every guidebook).

Jvog

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll most likely be passing by sometime in the early morning. I'll post an update in the evening!

Jvog

Reaction score
Stopped by ssense at around noon. Either I got there too late and missed out on all the goodies, or it was just filled with crap. Most of it was remnants from their members only site (prive), lots of Cheap Monday, Diesel, etc. Overall a waste of time.

Also went to the WANT warehouse sale just a few blocks south of where ssense was holding theirs. Labels stocked were Arcteryx Veilance, SWIMS, Nudie, James Perse. Much better than ssense's offerings, but very limited in stock and size.

heartlessphil

Reaction score
Yea I was disapointed with the Ssense sale. I went around 2 p.m and didn't find anything cool. If there was something nice I bet you had to be there at 10 a.m to have a chance!!!

Lollie

Reaction score
Went at 11am, but didnt bother to line up for 30+min and ended up leaving. From outside, it didn't look like there was much left on the racks ...

JDMills

Reaction score
Cafe wise, Myriade right next to Guy metro is always great (on Mackay), or this place called Piccolo on Park near Mcgill, or as said before jst walk around Mile End the plateau (Toi Moi et Cafe is a staple).

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything new and exciting on the shopping scene in Montreal? I know about Rooney Shop, Simons and some of the other 'big name' stores but I'd be curious if there was anything else worth going to. I'm in town next week and then moving there permanently in a few months.

heartlessphil

Reaction score
I really like Michel brisson on Laurier Avenue (michelbrisson.com)

SSense (ssense.com) in the old Montreal of course (They have a sale at the moment, if you see something you like on their website you can have them transfer the item at the boutique to try it on in person) Takes 1-2 days usually.

Holt renfrew in the basement is nice too

Boutique Duo on prince arthur street

Those are my favorites...

Jvog

Reaction score
Stopped by Simons earlier today, they've started with their drops on designer clothing - still quite a big selection left, so get there quickly before it all sells out. Discounts varied between 30% to 50%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics