1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Definitive Guide to Montreal Shopping

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gwydion, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Last time I went was awhile ago, but they had a tiny corner dedicated to mens clothing, and the rest of the store was entirely devoted to women. They had some Ralph Lauren, 2-3 pieces of EG, and some Mackage coats. If you're in the area, it doesn't hurt to pass by, but traveling for that sole purpose I don't think is worth your time.

2. heartlessphil

heartlessphil Senior member

I went once...tiny tiny men section. Not worth it even if you live in Montreal Imo.

3. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Just wondering if anyone has passed by Reborn for their closing sale and can give any information as to what they have in stock? If not I'll pass by tomorrow and give an update!

4. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

Yes do give an update, I'm not in town til next week..bummed I'm missing this!

5. Ralph373

Ralph373 Member

Just throwing it our there to you Montrealers, I fly in from Toronto to get my cloths in Montreal, I still feel their is an edge to you guys cloths that I don't get anywhere else. Montreal take a bow!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  6. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Not much left at Reborn - decent denim selection (Acne, Nudies) left for your girlfriends/wives/mistresses. Picked up a pair of Acne denim for 50$. As for the men's selection, not much left there. A few Assembly brand shirts, and not much else left.

7. heartlessphil

remove

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

Going to be there in May. Are there any shopping districts to explore? Or just various boutiques here and there?

Only one I know of that carries the kind of stuff I'm into is Rooney. Any other stores like that?

9. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Montreal doesn't really have a counterpart to SoHo, however each borough tends to have a few shops that you can visit. If you like Rooney, you might also like Savoie Fils. Haven't been recently but from experience I've seen lots of Norse Projects, Reigning Champ, Steven Alan, and a few local labels. One cool thing about Savoie is that it is half boutique/half coffee shop, and the coffee there is pretty good (next door is also Saint-Viateurs, where you can get some of the city's best bagels - open 24 hours as well).

There's also Clark Street Mercantile, which isn't too far from Savoie. (http://clarkstreetmercantile.com/en/brands/). Close to this area as well is Les Etoffes that usually carries a few items from Gitman, W&H, United Stock, and a few others you'll probably like.

There's the WANT Apothecary, which carries Acne, Nudies, Filipa K, and they also have their sister store Stockmarkt, which carries the above at a discounted price.

By car, you can get to most places within a 10-15 minute drive, so its very easy to get through multiple stores in one day. Also, the metro system can get you to most stores quite easily as well, as most of them are within a few minutes from a station. If you need any more suggestions, let me know! (that includes dining, places to visit, and going out at night. If you happen to be in town during a Habs game, I encourage you to go out and experience the energy).

1 person likes this.
  10. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

I guess your "Soho" would be Old Montreal with stores like Rooney, Ssense (the website's brick and mortar shop), U&I,etc.

Most of the stores mentionned by Jjvog are in the Mile End, which would more be the equivalent to NYC's LES. Stores like Les Étoffes, Savoie Fils, Clark Street Mercantile and also Michel Brisson (Christophe Lemaire, Jil Sanders...) and Ibiki (APC, Our Legacy).

But you can't get any better than Rooney for the workwear stuff.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  11. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions! Yea, I figured there would be no counterpart to Soho (there really is no counterpart in the US as far as I know). The boutique/cafe place sounds nice, right up my alley.

I'm going to be there Memorial day weekend (Thurs - Sun). There for a bachelor party, but I'll have downtime to explore on my own. Any areas like Nolita? Love quaint little neighborhoods with a nice mix of boutiques, cafes and restaurants where I can just chill and people watch and do a little street photography. I like historic hoods too.

I'm guessing my dinner spots are already chosen, but would take any suggestions for brunch/lunch, happy hour. Thanks again, much appreciated.

12. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

what kind of labels does les etoffes carry? Couldn't find much info on them

13. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

Jvog - any other cafe recs? I have a thing for cafes with design-level ambiance, if there's anything like that in Montreal. Given that it's European/French, is cafe culture big in Montreal?

What about parks? Does Montreal have anything resembling Vancouver and its close proximity to nature?

thanks again

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I suggest you check out a guide or website, Montréal=mount royal=named cause there is a mountain inside the city and thus a fucking mountain park there. You'd know this if you read the intro to any mildly reputable source.

15. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

Les Étoffes carries SNS Herning,Dana Lee, Christophe Lemaire, Patrick Ervell, Unis...Good albeit small selection.

As far as cafes, take a walk in the Mile End neighborhood, where there is about 1 coffeeshop per square foot. Falco (conceptual, beautiful Japanese themed cafe), Olimpico (Italian cafe), Myriad, Art Café (the food here is good, they do brunches too)...Look it up!

Old Montreal is nice/has many boutiques but is touristy. Olive et gourmando might be my fav coffeeshop/lunch place (very "European" and on every guidebook).

16. heartlessphil

17. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Yeah, I'll most likely be passing by sometime in the early morning. I'll post an update in the evening!

18. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Stopped by ssense at around noon. Either I got there too late and missed out on all the goodies, or it was just filled with crap. Most of it was remnants from their members only site (prive), lots of Cheap Monday, Diesel, etc. Overall a waste of time.

Also went to the WANT warehouse sale just a few blocks south of where ssense was holding theirs. Labels stocked were Arcteryx Veilance, SWIMS, Nudie, James Perse. Much better than ssense's offerings, but very limited in stock and size.

19. heartlessphil

Yea I was disapointed with the Ssense sale. I went around 2 p.m and didn't find anything cool. If there was something nice I bet you had to be there at 10 a.m to have a chance!!!

20. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

Went at 11am, but didnt bother to line up for 30+min and ended up leaving. From outside, it didn't look like there was much left on the racks ...