• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo, Turtle, Gator, Phoque (you!), etc. he

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Authenticated as authentic :D

Cross post

Allen Edmonds - Real alligator or embossed? I think I know the answer but would appreciate opinions. I found the same exact shoes on eBay, one listing stated alligator print and got $49, the other listing stated genuine alligator and got $225.

Definitely real.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume these are crocodile and not alligator? Any idea as to which species?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it safe to assume these are crocodile and not alligator?

Unless I am not seeing something...these are almost certainly alligator. Not crocodile. Crocodile would have a clearly visible pore (hole) at the top edge of each tile.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless I am not seeing something...these are almost certainly alligator. Not crocodile. Crocodile would have a clearly visible pore (hole) at the top edge of each tile.

Ahhhh ha, OK, thanks. I imagine you are correct. They were listed online as crocodile, looks like I will have to settle for alligator.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, alligators are crocodilians.

Could have been worse, could have bought a caimen! O' the vagaries of shopping 4 online discount luxury RTW
1f601.png

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Posted in the MANBAG thread, here's an exotic piece I have from Gianfranco Ferre's final menswear season (SS08). They threw in just about every hide they could think of... I count python, ostrich, and a few varieties of Croc. I don't use it much, but it's a lot of fun. They also did a duffle version that was featured on the runway.

21644652-0555-44A0-AD20-1AF7894D6852.JPG

7071E58E-556B-4C9A-9B66-736C0D4E7D87.JPG

Ferre SS08 3.jpg

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, Spoo @SpooPoker . Looks like most of our old images have died over the years, so I'm thinking I'll start a new EXOTIC HIDE thread soon. Stay tuned and please post on there. ;)

MariaLisa

Reaction score
Hello! I have just joined and hope you can help me identify this leather. It is used on a pair of vintage Justin cowboy boots, made in US, but I do not have a date when they were made. I am not sure if this is some exotic, or if it is a tanning process?
1 (2).jpg
Thank you!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have just joined and hope you can help me identify this leather. It is used on a pair of vintage Justin cowboy boots, made in US, but I do not have a date when they were made. I am not sure if this is some exotic, or if it is a tanning process? View attachment 878914 Thank you!

Carpincho leather
Carpincho leather.jpg

Carpincho-Capybara.jpg

Hen leather
Hen leather.jpg
Hen leather 1.jpg

Donkey leather
Donkey leather shoes.jpg

Dog leather
me like dog,
it very very good,
men in village like it for special feast,
the good old days

Dog leather.jpg

Giraffe leather
Giraffe leather.jpg

Giraffe.jpg

Armadilo leather
Armadilo leather.jpg
armadilo.jpg

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello! I have just joined and hope you can help me identify this leather. It is used on a pair of vintage Justin cowboy boots, made in US, but I do not have a date when they were made. I am not sure if this is some exotic, or if it is a tanning process? View attachment 878914 Thank you!

I made half a dozen pairs of boots of that leather back in the day. IIRC, it was a type of shrunken kudu. Not sure about that specifically but it was an antelope of some sort. Since that time, the tannage of kudu has 'evolved' and modern examples don't look anything at all like that.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys think this is likely caiman or does it look like the real deal croc or gator? They are from Carmina.

s-l1600.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads