• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo, Turtle, Gator, Phoque (you!), etc. he

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need help identifying the exotic on the top, the bottom darker pair are sea turtle.

thanks!

Last edited:

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The laces even buckle at the top, very well made. Let me know if anyone would like a picture. :)

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way Dahl, here's a bullfrog hide. It does look quite close.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That said, I'm not altogether sure that the shoes in question are frog. Each of those "bumps" (even the little ones) on real frog tend to be hard, very hard...almost like the tiles on caiman.

The photo of the shoes is not definitive but at first glance it appears to me that the edges of the facings are folded." I don't think this would be possible if it were truly frog.

Might be faux frog.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was told by a knowledgeable source today that they're leather
still confused - they might be...

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

was told by a knowledgeable source today that they're leather
still confused - they might be...

They are undoubtedly leather...but what does that mean?

Leather is a "catch-all" term for any tanned or preserved skin (sometimes, as in the case of shell, not even skin).

Once the skin is tanned many alterations can be, and are, applied--dying, boxing, printing, snuffing, etc.. Calf or cow leather is naturally smooth when tanned, yet there are many variations that have grain textures--all after-the-fact and not natural. A very few leathers such as elephant, alligator, ostrich, etc., have a natural texture and a distinctive look.

But sometimes smooth leathers are printed to to cover up blemishes on the grain surface...or look like more expensive leathers--to appeal to a different market. A market looking for something distinctive and out of the ordinary...at a relatively ordinary price.

They could be printed-to-look-like-frog calf leather (hence "faux frog").

Or they could be something else...maybe even real frog.

All of it leather.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PS...if it's any consolation, I don't think the leather is a print. I don't know what it is (and I've seen a lot of "exotics"...exotic leathers...in my time). But there are a lot of strange critters on planet earth and no one has seen them all.

I just don't think it's frog leather...I could be wrong--there are lots of ways to tan a hide and maybe someone, somewhere, came up with a way to tan frog and make it soft. Who knows?

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Wish we were in the same city, I'd show them to you. ^^

Im out of my element. I don't know exotics and skins like many that our in this exact forum.
I do know luxury shoes but thats another subject. I dropped the price on these to $199 on Ebay
so someone will get I think a fair deal. I also have the Sea Turtle Monks dropped to $149.

I appreciate the help from you guys and always enjoy learning more.

:)

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PS...if it's any consolation, I don't think the leather is a print. I don't know what it is (and I've seen a lot of "exotics"...exotic leathers...in my time). But there are a lot of strange critters on planet earth and no one has seen them all.

I just don't think it's frog leather...I could be wrong--there are lots of ways to tan a hide and maybe someone, somewhere, came up with a way to tan frog and make it soft. Who knows?

In the 1960's, US makers were making faux EVERYTHING. They are stamped calf. The creasing gives it away, as well as the lack of depth in the middle of the individual "semi-circles". VERY similar to faux hornback lizard made with calf. They just can't capture the texture/ depth.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Authenticated as authentic
biggrin.gif

Cross post

Allen Edmonds - Real alligator or embossed? I think I know the answer but would appreciate opinions. I found the same exact shoes on eBay, one listing stated alligator print and got $49, the other listing stated genuine alligator and got $225.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads