1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The strand has a copy of Flussers Clothes and the Man for $35. It's a good out of print reference.

3. bradp

bradp Senior member

Regarding those titles that have multiple editions, do you gents think it's crucial to read the latest one? For example, there is a cheap copy of style and the man on ebay, but its the 1996 version.

4. dieworkwear

I can't speak to every title, obviously, but of the titles I've own multiple copies of -- in different versions -- they've more or less been the same across the board. I have found that the latest versions of Roetzel are better than old ones, but only really worth buying if you don't mind spending the money, or if you haven't owned the older versions. Almost every other title has been too similar to care about (between versions).

The exception are guides to perfumes and fragrances, which must be updated because houses change formulas. So, if you're reading an old version of a book, the description and rating of some scent might not properly reflect what you might buy on the market.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  5. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

I would go with the 1996 Style and the Man. It has an outdated but interesting section on stores that isn't in the more recent edition.

6. bradp

bradp Senior member

Thanks fellas. Order placed [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

1 person likes this.
  9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I received it yesterday, finished reading it today. The book is mostly a collection of occasional pieces by Boyer, with some chapters written expressly for the book. Some of them appeared in Will Boehlke's "A Suitable Wardrobe" blog. There is no particular system or sequence to the book. For example, the first chapter is devoted to "The Ascot" (with some general discussion of men's neckwear). Chapter 2 is on "Boots," Chapter 3 on "Bowties." The chapters are scarcely proportionate to the subjects. For example "Turtlenecks" merit six pages, "Suits" a little more than seven! The book could have stood more rigorous fact-checking and proofreading, e.g., "hoards [sic] of men."

However, it is by Boyer, which means that it is knowledgeable, perceptive, informative, witty and entertaining. Does it live up to its claim of being "The History and Principles of Classic Menswear"? Probably not. Do I regret having purchased it and read it? Emphatically not! I shall probably be re-reading many of his chapters quite a few times in the months and years to come.

1 person likes this.
  10. dieworkwear

Chapters are actually arranged alphabetically.

11. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I've been working on my collection of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you found inspiration from Apparel Arts? I've browsed a copy or two before and didn't find it that useful. There are only a few pages in each edition that is interesting. I think the many of the best ones may have been scanned in already because the picture in the copies I saw weren't that great.

13. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

That's an interesting question. I don't necessarily pattern an outfit after something that I saw in a Lawrence Fellows drawing, but on the other hand many issues include fabric/patterns carousels that are definitely interesting and can give you ideas on pattern matching (the carousel will have a suit fabric at the center; if you select a certain shirt fabric, the carousel has corresponding tie and hosiery selections). From a historical perspective, I think the books are fascinating. One article from 1935 was on the best men's clothing stores in London - it was interesting to see which companies were still in business and which were not).

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2013/10/through-these-portals-pass-best-dressed.html

Another article featured the best dressed men of 1935 as selected by Apparel Arts writers, with another list selected by industry insiders. In both cases, it was interesting to note how many sporting men (ie gamblers?) were featured on both lists ahead of "typical" names like Douglas Fairbanks and Fred Astaire. For the record, a fellow named William Goadby Lowe was featured on both lists:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2015/06/two-galleries-of-best-dressed-men.html

Many of the issues that I've found feature original fabric swatches for suits, shirts, ties, and socks - aside from the tie patterns, I'd say very little has changed when it comes to what men wear now vs the 1930s.

That being said, the artwork is great too!

1 person likes this.
  14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

METORA by David Marx was just released. Great read on Japans post war fascination with US Ivy Style and how and why things evolved to include preppy and denim/workwear. Excellent background on the evolution of style and quality manufacturing as well as the importance of magazines in promoting certain looks and styles to each generation. Styleforum even gets mentioned in the last chapter or two.

2 people like this.
  15. Jay Dowle

Jay Dowle Active Member

I didn't see Richard Anderson's 'Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed' - the story of his Savile Row apprenticeship mentioned in this thread. (I might have missed it). It's an amusing read and very informative on suit construction in particular.

16. globobock

globobock Senior member

Mosst (or all) of the books listed are on english/american suit styles.

Is there a book about the italian/neapolitan suit styles?

17. kayzerrex

kayzerrex New Member

18. dieworkwear

First is about classic, tailored clothing. Second is slightly broader in scope (although, still kind of a traditional view of style). Third is even broader and probably the most practical for guys who don't wear tailored clothing every day.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  19. wjenks

wjenks Active Member

Received this book for Christmas from the misses.. it's really well writte which makes it an enjoyable read and very informative!

[​IMG]

I can definitely recommend it!

1 person likes this.