• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been working on my collection of these:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you found inspiration from Apparel Arts? I've browsed a copy or two before and didn't find it that useful. There are only a few pages in each edition that is interesting. I think the many of the best ones may have been scanned in already because the picture in the copies I saw weren't that great.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting question. I don't necessarily pattern an outfit after something that I saw in a Lawrence Fellows drawing, but on the other hand many issues include fabric/patterns carousels that are definitely interesting and can give you ideas on pattern matching (the carousel will have a suit fabric at the center; if you select a certain shirt fabric, the carousel has corresponding tie and hosiery selections). From a historical perspective, I think the books are fascinating. One article from 1935 was on the best men's clothing stores in London - it was interesting to see which companies were still in business and which were not).

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2013/10/through-these-portals-pass-best-dressed.html

Another article featured the best dressed men of 1935 as selected by Apparel Arts writers, with another list selected by industry insiders. In both cases, it was interesting to note how many sporting men (ie gamblers?) were featured on both lists ahead of "typical" names like Douglas Fairbanks and Fred Astaire. For the record, a fellow named William Goadby Lowe was featured on both lists:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2015/06/two-galleries-of-best-dressed-men.html

Many of the issues that I've found feature original fabric swatches for suits, shirts, ties, and socks - aside from the tie patterns, I'd say very little has changed when it comes to what men wear now vs the 1930s.

That being said, the artwork is great too!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
METORA by David Marx was just released. Great read on Japans post war fascination with US Ivy Style and how and why things evolved to include preppy and denim/workwear. Excellent background on the evolution of style and quality manufacturing as well as the importance of magazines in promoting certain looks and styles to each generation. Styleforum even gets mentioned in the last chapter or two.

Jay Dowle

Reaction score
I didn't see Richard Anderson's 'Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed' - the story of his Savile Row apprenticeship mentioned in this thread. (I might have missed it). It's an amusing read and very informative on suit construction in particular.

globobock

Reaction score
Mosst (or all) of the books listed are on english/american suit styles.

Is there a book about the italian/neapolitan suit styles?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does anyone have Style and The Man, A Guy's guide to Style and Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good? Are the contents overlapping with each other? If you could pick 2 out of 3, what would it be?

First is about classic, tailored clothing. Second is slightly broader in scope (although, still kind of a traditional view of style). Third is even broader and probably the most practical for guys who don't wear tailored clothing every day.

Last edited:

wjenks

Reaction score
Received this book for Christmas from the misses.. it's really well writte which makes it an enjoyable read and very informative!

I can definitely recommend it!

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bantone

Reaction score
Bumping this thread. Currently in my collection:

- Dressing The Man
- True Style
- Icons of Men's Style
- A Dictionary of Color Combinations
- Ametora

I had "Men In This Town" but gave my copy to a buddy because much of it is something you can find on IG.

I may get a copy of Me Porter Paperback but I haven't heard much on it.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting a dead thread to recommend a book I haven't seen mentioned here: The Vintage Showroom. Probably one of my favorite menswear books, focused on historical pieces of sportswear and military garments. Just a great look at some interesting and innovative designs. For me, it's fun to see how little some designs from brands like Barbour and Belstaff have changed over the last 75 years while comparing the obvious influence heritage pieces have had on more current designers (EG, RRL, etc.).

91Z-ewy4PKL.jpg

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A late starter here

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B1.jpg

I mean, am well versed in practical applications but may be missing a bit of theory.

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B3.jpg

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B4.jpg

Contents

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B7.jpg

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B8.jpg

Here I feel like it's already beginning to rub off on me

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B9.jpg

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B10.jpg

aflusser%2Bdressing%2Bman%2Bmay%2B2021%2B11.jpg

Valfunde

Reaction score
Got Swan Songs by @RJman which finally jump kicked what I've been meaning to do for a while and that's to look into the history of clothing and the cultures and attitudes that accompany them.

If I wanted to know how clothes were made in certain time periods (say 18th and 19th century America), how would I go about that? Are there any books like that or is it all in the dusty avenues of academia?

Just really interested in trends, manufacturing, and attitudes toward clothing in certain time periods, in this case 1800ish-1950ish America. Though I'm not against learning other countries as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads