• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Define your style

Dutch Master

Reaction score
As a clothing artist I would describe my Style as Artisan-European. I love the old bespoke details of the English, the colorful life of the Florentines and the American spirit. The combination makes for a current day Dandy with a passionate appreciation of the best fabric, the finest artisan make.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
As a clothing artist...
dontgetit.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, my style is fairly difficult to define I think, I would have to say it's sort of a west coast meets east coast fusion with a generally classic feel to it. I have alot of classic and vintage items including blazers, overcoats, and top coats, and wear alot of blacks and dark colors (that are a bit less common out here) avoiding earth tones and bright colors for the most part (if I have colors, for the most part they are blues, although I do have a few pink/lavender items) and I wear quite a bit of leather (most of my outerwear is leather)

Dutch Master

Reaction score
AlanC,

I assume you would like me to define the term clothing artist. The director of economic and cultural development of Winter Park actually coined the term. My passion for the arts, coupled with my appreciation of artisan old world details results in an artistic interpretation of clothing. When William Kissel, the very respected Style editor of The Robb Report and west-coast editor for MR ( a trade magazine ) chose the heading "Dutch Master" for his feature on my collection, it became clear that I represent a unique point of view. To be compared with some of the greatest painters from my birth place The Netherlands is quite an honor. Also in my humble opinion a handmade garment is pure Art.

Dutch Master

Reaction score
Indeed. Was my explanation to your staisfaction? Since it is a new term, to my knowledge not used before, feedback is appreciated.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I am 25, work in a department store in the furniture area full time, and go to school full time so it is hard for me to describe my style. I guess you can say it's a little preppy and very relaxed. The school is small, but is very trendy. I often buy the clothes 75% off with my discount at work. I like wearing jeans, a dress shirt, and tie with a sport coat thrown over it. Other days call for a suit with a super interesting tie. Basically, I wear what I feel like because my job does not require me to dress up. For a night out, I go casual with chinos and a Polo button down. I have little money because I am in college, but find good deal and get great advice from my fellow forum members.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern European meets conservative North America (though more modern European). Does it work? Works for me.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
American Jackass??? - nah - I don't think that's me. I don't know - probably just classic American. A combination of preppy, cowboy, athletic gear and hawaiian shirts - mostly casual. I don't have to wear a tie to my job, so I typically wear slacks and a dress shirt. If I'm not wearing a long-sleeve dress shirt, I will wear golf shirts (it's 120-degrees most days here in Phoenix), short-sleeve knit shirts or camp shirts in the summer and in the winter I often wear a mock or full-turtleneck. I like to fancy it up a bit though with a sportcoat or a vest. When I do have to wear a suit and tie, I will dress it up with a pair of braces and a pocket square. The funny thing is - I probably don't dress nearly as nice as many of the members here, but around my workplace, I am considered to be very well dressed. For me, it's about the little things - making sure my shoes are polished, sporting a pair of cuff links, having my sportcoats and suits tailored so they fit perfectly, putting together outfits with complimentary colors and most of all, not being afraid to wear strong colors to stand out. The difference between myself and the other guys at work - no Dockers, no short sleeve dress shirts and I keep myself in good physical shape, with a good haircut, so that I feel confident in anything I wear. Bradford P.S. Catch me on the weekends and I'm generally in jeans (shorts in the summer) and a t-shirt
biggrin.gif

colin617

Reaction score
my personal style is like Jim Morrison on stage ( wearing whatever is laying around and it looks good strictly by chance) *only i spend time trying o get it to look just right

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Indeed. Was my explanation to your staisfaction? Since it is a new term, to my knowledge not used before, feedback is appreciated.
I understand what you're saying, and agree that a great deal of artistic talent and skill goes into it. Still, I have to admit, the designation strikes me as a little pretentious. But that's okay, I can't afford to shop in your store.
biggrin.gif

Dutch Master

Reaction score
AlanC,

Thanks for your response. I feel that the designation IS pretentious, but I also like to be different from the run of the mill designer. And as far as shopping in my new store, you'd be surprised, my first priority is to give back to the community. Therefore I will feature a complete collection of entry level merchandise made in the United States and The Netherlands.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Therefore I will feature a complete collection of entry level merchandise made in the United States and The Netherlands.
Dutch Master,

Zal deze 'instap'-collectie ook in Nederland verkrijgbaar zijn?

Translation for non-dutch speakers: "Will the entry level collection also be available in The Netherlands?

MtB

ROI

Reaction score
Dutch Master: Is the "Dress-Up Thursdays" movement picking up steam, yet?

johnw86

Reaction score
Traditional, without wanting to look like I'm trying too hard (just hard enough to look good).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads