Define cocktail attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Beckwith, May 4, 2006.

1. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I was under the impression that it was pants and a sport coat, or a suit and no tie. What is the proper attire for this? My context is a wedding in June in New Hampshire.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I've always taken it to mean suit and tie but nowadays you'll see sportcoat sans tie with great regularity. For a wedding I would probably wear a suit and tie.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I find it usually means "smart and stylish". Not necessarily suit and tie, not necessarily open-collar - whatever you think is appropriately dressy and stylish without being black tie. Usually implies a jacket of some sort, unless seriously hot weather.

For afternoon events in summer, I tend to use an off-white cotton suit, with a open-necked linen shirt.

In evenings, I usually will go with suit and tie, but in fun, interesting colours and more flashy/less conservative than business wear.

Or you could do a "Clooney" - charcoal suit in a nice fabric, white open-neck shirt, neat but elegant shoes and accessories. Always looks relaxed, yet stylish.

4. cpac

cpac Senior member

Agreed.

This may be one of the few descriptions which makes women's choices easier than men's. But in general I think it means jacket required, tie optional, but in either case looking sharp, and dressing with a view towards the evening.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

This may be one of the few descriptions which makes women's choices easier than men's.

I agree. For women, it's a cocktail dress for "cocktail dress." I think the suit sans tie is about right.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

It means time to pull out that black suit and wear it with pride [​IMG]

7. stach

stach Senior member

Suit with silk t-shirt would be an option.