define alcoholism

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vettloffah, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

audit score of 6

[​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Seriously. Only in the modern "health uber alles" kuture.

Wonder if we could get some sort of SFxAA collaboration going on a limited bottling of some sort of bourbon.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The funniest thing about this thread are the explicit acknowledgements that 1-2 drinks per day is healthier (or so science still says) but nonetheless makes one an "alcoholic." Lol.

I always used to bridle at the old adage that America is a nation of Puritans but now I wonder.

5. suited

suited Senior member

My friend called me today asking advice on whether or not he should seek AA. What is the definition of an alcoholic?
    Someone that drinks excessively on a regular basis (this is the part that needs defining), or acts excessively stupid when they do drink. You can drink once a month, but if you become extremely violent when you do drink, I would classify that person as an alcoholic, among other things. Some of the dangerous drunks I've known didn't as much as other people, but their actions made up for the lack of frequency.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The funniest thing about this thread are the explicit acknowledgements that 1-2 drinks per day is healthier (or so science still says) but nonetheless makes one an "alcoholic." Lol.

I always used to bridle at the old adage that America is a nation of Puritans but now I wonder.

Oh, answer the door a few times clad only in a thong and you'll never question that adage again.

On the positive side, I no longer have to deal with people who want to sell me a vacuum cleaner or alarm service.

7. nootje

nootje Senior member

eau de booze exclusively.

Where to kop?? [​IMG]

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Popularized misconceptions aside, the alcohol consumption of most Puritans would have qualified them as alcoholics according to these standards, too.

9. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Nice to see that you think Brad and Gary can have a few drinks together.

Assuming they don't destroy the very fabric of our polite society by enjoying a committed, consenting adult relationship.

10. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

According to the survey im in the.... DANGER ZOOOOONE!

But yeah, so far my drinking has never affected my performance (well, whiskey dick notwithstanding) and my doctor says I'm healthy as a bull. I drink more on the weekends and 80% of the time when I am on my own home at night, I'll have a double or a triple whiskey, or maybe 1/2-1 bottles of wine. Don't think it's sustainable though, but I am still young.

11. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    I have an average of 3-4 drinks per day. I rarely get drunk and it hasn't affected any part of my life negatively.

I'd say an alcoholic "needs" the alcohol to function

12. Manton

Nice to see that you think Brad and Gary can have a few drinks together.

Assuming they don't destroy the very fabric of our polite society by enjoying a committed, consenting adult relationship.

WTF are you talking about?

13. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

WTF are you talking about?
    I find you denouncing puritanism while opposing civil liberties like gay marriage hypocritical and somewhat offensive. Am I wrong to say that you oppose gay marriage?

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

15. Manton

nvm. tired of responding to stupid attacks and being called a bully for it.