• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Defect on C&J Harvard?

vncrz

Reaction score
I recently received a pair of the C&J Harvard loafers in shell cordovan after a 6 month wait from an online retailer. I was so excited with the fit and look of them that only after several wears did I notice that something was off with the toebox seam on the right foot shoe. As you can see on the shoe on the left in the pic below, the seam along the toebox falls further down towards the sole on one side than on the other, which makes it look inconsistent.

photo-22.jpg

It is also visible from up top, although less evidently so, as the seam on the right shoe doesn't follow the shape of the toe box as the left shoe does.

photo-21.jpg

I plan on contacting the retailer but I wanted to hear your thoughts first. I discussed with a friend and she suggested that the handmade nature of the shoe may be responsible, but coming from a maker with such high standards, and not to mention the hefty price tag on the shoes, I do not think that is a valid excuse.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sonorously

Reaction score
What's the return policy? I think at best you'll receive a moderate compensation, most retailers do not accept returns on used items. It does look off enough to bug me.

Last edited:

vncrz

Reaction score
Thanks, I just sent the retailer an email. Their website says that they offer a full refund on faulty or damaged shoes. Although unfortunately I have worn them about five times before spotting the issue, I believe that that should not make a difference, since it's not like they would re-stock the faulty shoes as would be the case with a regular return. My interactions with the retailer have been quite pleasant so far so I have no reason to suspect that they will reject my request.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is unfortunately common with machine lasting, isn't a defect at all.
I've seen worst examples of misaligned medallions etc. on C&J and other big manufacters.
Your shoes aren't perfect but are in the standard, not so visible.

Last edited:

Harrydog

Reaction score

Thanks, I just sent the retailer an email. Their website says that they offer a full refund on faulty or damaged shoes. Although unfortunately I have worn them about five times before spotting the issue, I believe that that should not make a difference, since it's not like they would re-stock the faulty shoes as would be the case with a regular return. My interactions with the retailer have been quite pleasant so far so I have no reason to suspect that they will reject my request.

Perhaps. But had you not worn them, the retailer could sell the shoes as a second or return them to the maker. As it is, with the shoe worn five times, you are basically asking the retailer to take the hit for the full cost of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads