• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deerskin Leather Coat

deaddog

Reaction score
Despite some searching I haven't found much discussion on deerskin. I've been looking for a somewhat dressy leather coat - not a motorcycle leather. While I don't want it to be fragile, durability isn't the most important thing. Soft hand, drape and appearance are key. Don't want pebbled.

So, I've seen some deerskin here and on ebay. For those of you with experience with upscale deerskin (longhi, loro, borelli), what can you tell me about the leather? Can you compare it to lamb and calf?

And, what happens if you get caught in the snow or rain - will it spot?

Thanks

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in for some pretty tiresome in-jokes.

As for your question, deerskin is lighter, stronger, and more supple than calf. It develops a different kind of patina, as the leather is more buttery and in most finishes it is quite absorbent. Even at the same level of quality, it isn't necessarily better than calf; it's just a different material. But it is generally dearer.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
You're in for some pretty tiresome in-jokes.

2ptco7s.jpg

deaddog

Reaction score
To be clear, I am looking at a COAT, not a briefcase, satchel, duffel bag, manpurse or other carryall type item

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
You're in for some pretty tiresome in-jokes. As for your question, deerskin is lighter, stronger, and more supple than calf. It develops a different kind of patina, as the leather is more buttery and in most finishes it is quite absorbent. Even at the same level of quality, it isn't necessarily better than calf; it's just a different material. But it is generally dearer.
o rly? I was always under the impression that deerskin is more fragile than calf.

JensenH

Reaction score
I have a Loro Piana deerskin jacket with cashmere lining. Based on my observation, deerskin is more supple than calf but also more fragile. Since I have not been caught in rain or snow, I don't know if it will spot or not.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
I have a Loro Piana deerskin jacket with cashmere lining. Based on my observation, deerskin is more supple than calf but also more fragile. Since I have not been caught in rain or snow, I don't know if it will spot or not.

Loro Piana fabrics are treated to be semi-water resistant; I have their deerskin jacket as well, and it's been in light rain and snow often enough to say nothing bad happens. If there are a few spots, they can be buffed away.

I haven't noticed that deerskin is more fragile; I have a deerskin carry on bag that's been very durable. All I do is wipe it down with a leather cleaner/conditioner after ever 10 or so uses and buff out the scuffs. The irregular surface texture hides wear much better than smooth finished leather will.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I haven't noticed that deerskin is more fragile; I have a deerskin carry on bag that's been very durable. All I do is wipe it down with a leather cleaner/conditioner after ever 10 or so uses and buff out the scuffs. The irregular surface texture hides wear much better than smooth finished leather will.

Perhaps mine is from a fawn,
laugh.gif
But my jacket develped a small nick with light wearing, whereas my calf leather jackets have not.

Wideknot

Reaction score
Had a deer skin coat many years ago. Wore it for about ten-twelve years as a casual jacket until it was banged up so much I retired it to work-wear status. I wouldn't call it fragile (certainly not anywhere near as fragile as lamb) but not as durable as horse, goat, or steer. Very soft and comfortable though, requiring no break-in period. It easily lasted a couple of decades, and I only pitched it when it got soaked in oil when I was pulling an engine from a vintage Mustang.

edmac3

Reaction score
I am currently using a "doeskin" jacket, custom tailored by Scully of Los Angeles, for my Grandfather in about 1949! The jacket is in perfect condition still, although I have had to replace the original leather buttons, as my cat ate them! My Grandfather wore the coat as an overcoat, but I am a little thicker than he was, and use it more as a car coat-I can't fit a sport coat under it. It still has the softest hand of any coat I've ever felt, less than mink or chinchilla, and it stil drapes beautifully over my shoulders, and across my chest. The epaulets at the cuffs are a little stretched out, after sixty years of getting caught on things, but have never ripped, or popped a button. I don't like to get wet, but I have seen my Granddad wearing this coat when it was completely soaked in rain, with the water planing off like a slicker, and his suit beneath was completely dry! It might get a little "stiff" after getting wet, but a few wearings softens it right up. In fact, after I've had it cleaned (usually once a year, in Spring, before I put it away) it is always a little stiff, but the more I wear it, the softer it gets! I don't find the same style in the Scully catalogue today, but have seen similar at other fine leather stores for upwards of $900.00, and on e-bay for anywhere from $100 to $400-$500. If you're looking for a classic American style jacket, that wears forever, is warm and keeps you dry, I'd recommend deerskin wholeheartedly!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics