• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deer skin shoes

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found some deer skin Grenson shoes on Ebay and I have to admit they look kinda odd and interesting at the same time. Can anyone who has experience with these types of shoes elaborate on the pros and cons about them?

Why are they elasticated for instance and will it result in a better fit?

0961_1.JPG

ca4b_1.JPG

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
While not Grenson, I had some italian made bostonians that used deer leather. I found the leather very flexible and comfortable fwiw.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The elastic doesn't look good on the shoes, imo.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's very soft. It wrinkles a lot.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont have experience with deer skin, but about the elastic, I think they add a casual side to the shoes. I have a pair of Paul Smith Bendis (similar to your #1 but in caramel) that are elasticated and I would never wear it with a dress pant, only with jeans and khakis. The elastic doesn't affect the fit, its only a detail IMO.

In a following note... You gave too much info. I found the shoes and now I'm getting thoughts about'em... DAMN YOU!
devil.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Deer-, stag- or other game leather can be used either as suede or as a smooth, grainy leather.
It just gets tanned and finished differently.

The Italian "˜Cervo' refers to the smooth version, but suede is probably the more traditional way of using it.
In German the generic name for suede leathers is "˜game leather' (Wildleder),
although not a lot of suede (used for shoes) comes actually from game animals.

liwymi

Reaction score
i used to wear boots (cowboy boots) made of dear skin some of the best boots and fitting shoes of any kind I ever had.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look stupid.

However deer skin is great for loafers. Insanely soft and comfy.

Clark

Reaction score
But the AS I posted about look just like calf shoes, and perhaps the deer suede is even more comfortable than calf.

Suede Chukka Norris

Reaction score
I have a deerskin aviator jacket that I love. It's a great hide.

It can work for shoes...if the wear will be lighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads