1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Deer bone for shell cordovan shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FCS, Oct 27, 2004.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

3. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

What are they doing to a deer bone to make it cost $36?

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

overhead, advertising, marketing, the usual. I picked one up. I was tempted to rip one out from the deer carcass on the side of the road, but the flesh was covered with maggots. $36 doesnt seem such a high price to pay once you have accepted the idea that a bone can help with removing the cordovan wrinkles.

5. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

So you guys are saying that "boning" your shoes involves an actual bone?
    :embar:
    That's the last time I listen to aportnoy.

6. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

The Polisher uses the Deer Bone in this video

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The Question I always wonder is that since the Bone is no longer attached to a living deer, how long does its oil properties last? It can't last forever.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Thanks for posting James. I'm intrigued by this. Might have jump in feet first like NAMOR.

8. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I don't know if I buy the "oily bone" theory. First, if you don't have a deer bone, you have to brush cordovan until your arm falls off, the idea being to bring the oils already in the cordovan to the surface. I have also polished out scuffs in cordovan with the back of a tea spoon. And no, it wasn't a greasy spoon. I suspect that a deer bone does what a brush does but more efficiently.

Certainly, when you use a bone on waxed calf, any oil in the bone itself is pretty irrelevant.

On a side note, I prefer cordovan with the mellow glow that only cordovan can get rather than a high polish. This probably has a lot to do with my arm getting tired.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know, my arm gets tired when I use my oily bone.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

then you have been doing it wrong. youre supposed to go in round circles, not just up and down.... :p

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  11. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

I got my deer bone today. There's still some meat on it. Polishing tool and dinner for the kids.

Also props to the ASW store. I received it along with Saphir goodies less than 24 hours from time of purchasing click. Very impressive.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1 to the great service. The ship quick! How does the meet taste? I dont think Ive had deer before.