• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decorating first appartment in NYC

msart84

Reaction score
Hey all,

In the next few weeks, I will be moving into my first apartment in Manhattan. It is a very exciting time, as I've been waiting (and saving) for this opportunity for a while. I'm very familiar with the city and I'm aware with how much everything costs, but I still will be on a tight budget.

I need to start from scratch in regard to decorating an apartment. I need to buy a bed/all room furniture, as well as couch and living room furniture that I will split with my two roommates. Can anyone make any good recommendations for furniture stores or items that they like that can be found either online, or in the city. And I am already familiar with IKEA.

Looking forward to hearing anyone's input.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am doing the same but in boston...went to ikea today and did some recon...Im going mostly with their malm stuff. I also bought a simons mattress today. Good Luck!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) paint the apt a clean bright white

2) Get a cool looking lamp that is also good for reading in the bedroom and another one in the living area. A great looking lamp really adds style to a room. This is a place to splurge because you can take it with you when you move.

Something like this next to a bed or on a desk is great

3) Just go with plain white towels and sheets. Add two inexpensive multi colored or denim throw pillows on your bed for a color accent

4) Find a vintage fabric flag to hang on the wall. They look cool, they soften a room more than posters and they add color

This will give you an idea

paulbnyc

Reaction score
Less is more. Don't bring suburban sized furniture or ideas about what you think you need to have to your new small nyc space. Think militant minimalism.

marg

Reaction score
don't cheap out on the bed or couch - these are the most important parts of the house for your comfort. I went with a sterns and foster mattress and a crate & barrel axis couch (I have a townhouse so the couch actually fits in the room). your taste in furniture may vary, but don't get something only b/c it's cheap and looks good. your back will hurt and you will be miserable that those precious few minutes of free time you have are spent uncomfortably.

for decorative pieces, hit the yard sales and flea markets in brooklyn - you can find some really interesting stuff for pennies on the dollar. i'm from philly, and i'm jealous of all that my friends have available up there.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
CB2 and Muji are great (basically next to each other at the southern part of Soho), Room and Board is solid if you have a bigger budget, and of course Ikea is great (I prefer the NJ location over Red Hook). We tend to use Ikea for things like shelves, wardrobes, and other storage knick knacks, while CB2 and R&B are ideal for furniture.

msart84

Reaction score
This has all been very good information and tips. Definitely a push in the right direction. Please, any other thoughts would be much appreciated! Also, pictures and links are very welcomed as well.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I signed on a new place today (rent, not buy). In my experience a pure white on the walls can be too much, just too bright, clinical. Whereas one of the off whites subdue the brightness while still being bright enough. Made this mistake before. My 2c...

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I painted my walls and ceiling black to match the color of my heart.

...And my shoes.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren makes a shade of white that I have used several times called Studio White. It is white and clean but is far more easy to live with than an appliance white. Subtle differences in shades can make a huge difference. Lighter colors can really help to open up a room.

msart84

Reaction score
I never thought about paint. It never occurred to me that it was important at all. I've been worrying about bed/couch/dining table etc. but I guess you do really need to start with paint.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been in my new place for over a year and I have only painted one "accent" wall. My girlfriend has been on my case about painting the bedroom a "warmer" color. I would like a dark, dark brown, but along the lines of what psg said it makes the room look smaller. I think it would be cozy, however. I told the gf if she pays for it and/or does it herself she can paint it any color she wants.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark brown can be a cool, masculine look. But in a tiny place it can really close you in.

msart84

Reaction score
What about some things to think about besides the color of walls? Does anyone have anything they wish they knew when they were first moving out on their own?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads