• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deconstructing a Peal Algonquin Blucher

--Jonas--

Reaction score
Before I start let me say that the following is not for the squeamish. I neither possess the necessary skill nor the equipment for this, making the result quite messy.

A few months ago I happened to receive a pair of left Algonquin Bluchers by Peal for Brooks Brothers, made by Crockett and Jones I believe. They were black and a size 9.5D. Since I did not foresee a use for them, I decided to take one of them apart and have a look at the construction.
The following is a photo diary of the process.

But enough of the shoe. Let's take it apart.

The tongue outer has to go.

Now the back...

and the sides.

What would you call this (running along the top)?

On to the toe.

More to come in the next post.

--Jonas--

Reaction score
This is what the shoe looked like now:

Pressed leather (?) around the heel:

Revealing the nails:

And the seam inside the channel.

Taking the heel off was a major pain.

Only the sole left now.

Laying bare the rest of the seam.

The sole cut in half.

Revealing the wooden shank while separating insole and outsole.

Completely separated here:

A last shot of the heel:

Voilá, a fully deconstructed shoe in its parts.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Were these a gift? If so, I hope the gifter is a member here and sees this.

Btw, you should sell the other one on B&S.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score
That's great, excellent contribution and good work.

To be expected: synthetic toe stiffenner and leather board (leather scrap and glue mix) heel stiffenner. Lining appears to be glued to canvas and upper as well.

Appears that inner sole is not of the consistency of veg tan leather (?) but doesn't appear to be as cheap as leathe board either. There is fiber board under heel area = not so good. Can't really tell what the heel stack is made of but from 1st photo of whole shoe i would suspect solid leather.

typical canvas gemming as well. Wood shank is nice to see

If you ever do this again (I suspect you will since I know its fun) start by removing heel stack first and then slide an exacto blade in between welt and outsole (basically almost halfway up sole edge) and cut the outsole stitching all around upto heel area (and around if 360* welting). This will allow you to remove outsole cleanly and visualize cork filling, shank and welt . You can then cut through welt stitches (with exacto) and cleanly remove upper from inner sole.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looked fun!

Moar!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

--Jonas--

Reaction score

Were these a gift? If so, I hope the gifter is a member here and sees this.
Btw, you should sell the other one on B&S.

Nope, not a gift - they were donated. Must have been a return by the guy with the two right feet.

If you ever do this again (I suspect you will since I know its fun) start by removing heel stack first and then slide an exacto blade in between welt and outsole (basically almost halfway up sole edge) and cut the outsole stitching all around upto heel area (and around if 360* welting). This will allow you to remove outsole cleanly and visualize cork filling, shank and welt . You can then cut through welt stitches (with exacto) and cleanly remove upper from inner sole.

Thanks for the tip. Probably won't be doing it again too soon. It's not everyday that I have a disposable shoe on my hands. Might do it with a worn out one eventually.

Have you deconstructed the box yet?

I was not aware of this box fetish...

And, unfortunately, I did not have a box to begin with.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gut-reaction to seeing this was a flurry of various responses all at once:

'BodyWorlds' for shoes...interesting concept.
Do you carve the Christmas turkey at your home?
Alllriiiight....now put it back together before your father gets home or there will be hell to pay!
We encourage you to repeat the experiment on other brands and items asap...well done! and thank you. :)

Last edited:

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I feel really bad for the shoes, what a shame..

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and this is why I still visit style forum, amazing jonas, thank you for sharing this with us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads