• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decisions on first real suit

ssantan2

Reaction score
Hello SF! This is my first post and thread so I apologize if I do anything noobish but I have been reading this forum for the past week since I found out I will be needing a suit for my friends sisters wedding in may. I am 22, 5'9 , 160lbs, athletic build and wear a 40R(maybe 40SH but thats still up in the air) with a 32 waist usually and I am looking for a navy, not dark blue, suit. I say this is my first real because I have owned suits in the past for college interviews and stuff but now I am in the working world and want an adult suit. I am looking for a half-canvassed or full canvassed suit in a slim style but my current budget is $500-$1000 depending on home much I really want said suit. I live around chicago and for anyone who lives around here might know I went to oak brook mall today to check out some suits at various places. I visited nordstroms, nieman marcus, mark shale, and brooks brothers. I don't like Macy's selection so I skipped it. Nords had nothing I liked in my price range. The sales person showed me a hugo boss suit that looked very cheap and was $500 also a Joseph Abboud which was $800. mark shale showed me a jack victor suit in a great blue color but even though the shoulders fit everything else was just too big. BB had my favorite choice which was a 1818 fitz on clearance for $590. it was the nicest of everything in my price range, at least to me. Only issue was that it was pinstripe and I really want a solid navy. At nieman marcus I just gave up on finding anything in my price range and tried on a zegna for the hell of it. amazing suit but well out of my range. I have looked into MTM like thick as theives. I know GS is a member here and people seem to like the suits but the issue with me is idk if I want to do an online MTM for my first suit. Another issue is since I have a time frame, waiting for sales is going to be hard to do. Anyway that is my experience. Can anyone help point me in a good direction to go? EDIT: http://tinyurl.com/4r3xh89 this is the stripe navy BB fitz I had mentioned

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Signs up for BB Corporate Discount from Borders Rewards (google it) and buy from website. Supposed to be 15% off regular priced merchandise but I just tried it and it took around 24% off for some reason.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is the wedding?

You are on the right track with the Fitz...very solid first suit. If you you have time you can find it here, or even the Zegna you liked.

Will BB bring a suit in from another store for you? Can you order it online?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to have a good idea of what you want. Sorry to tell you that I have never ever seen a navy suit go on sale for more than 30% off. Well, not one I would buy anyway. And with the economy improving and stores cutting steeply back on inventory, no more huge sales.
frown.gif
Anyway, I suggest a Benjamin suit from ehaberdasher.com. I do not have personal experience with that suit, but for $500 and for a solid navy suit, I think its your best bet. But, your on the right track with BB. Very solid choice. Both Abboud and Victor (and Boss for that matter) are fused. Well, the Boss options from Nordstroms are anyway. Unless they've for some mysterious reason started carrying Selection hand tailored... But I digress. If the corp. discount comes out in your price range, go for the BB suit of your choosing. You cannot go wrong. BB staples simply do not go on sale. :|

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greyinla

Reaction score
BB had my favorite choice which was a 1818 fitz on clearance for $590. it was the nicest of everything in my price range, at least to me. Only issue was that it was pinstripe and I really want a solid navy.
If you go online or have your local store order them in, you can get the Fitz in a solid navy and charcoal. Right now they're 2 for 1600, and if you get the corporate card that's another 15% off. I'll second Ehaberdasher as another option.

ssantan2

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice guys

Originally Posted by Liquidus
Signs up for BB Corporate Discount from Borders Rewards (google it) and buy from website. Supposed to be 15% off regular priced merchandise but I just tried it and it took around 24% off for some reason.

Tried signing up but I need some organization code. idk what that is exactly

Originally Posted by cbbuff
When is the wedding?

You are on the right track with the Fitz...very solid first suit. If you you have time you can find it here, or even the Zegna you liked.

Will BB bring a suit in from another store for you? Can you order it online?

The wedding is in mid May. I have some time and if I could find the zegna for my price range online that would be sweet. idk if BB will bring another suit from a different store. might just be easier to visit a different store instead since the one in Chicago isnt to far from me.

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
You seem to have a good idea of what you want. Sorry to tell you that I have never ever seen a navy suit go on sale for more than 30% off. Well, not one I would buy anyway. And with the economy improving and stores cutting steeply back on inventory, no more huge sales.
frown.gif

Anyway, I suggest a Benjamin suit from ehaberdasher.com. I do not have personal experience with that suit, but for $500 and for a solid navy suit, I think its your best bet.

But, your on the right track with BB. Very solid choice. Both Abboud and Victor (and Boss for that matter) are fused. Well, the Boss options from Nordstroms are anyway. Unless they've for some mysterious reason started carrying Selection hand tailored... But I digress.

If the corp. discount comes out in your price range, go for the BB suit of your choosing. You cannot go wrong. BB staples simply do not go on sale. :|

Checked out that website. suit looks good. is it a half-canvassed/canvassed or fused? issue with that website is they don't have any navy's in my size unfortunately. Not having great luck here lol.

Originally Posted by Klobber
If you are willing to spend $500ish on the Zegna, its on eBay. A couple of others added that are also nice deals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-1-329-Ermene...item33654f0639

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-CORNELIANI-I...item5d2d522e37

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISAIA-2-BUTTON-S...item230e96d1fd

http://cgi.ebay.com/1795-PAL-ZILERI-...item588c6b1de6

Thanks for searching ebay for me. a few things though that I forgot to mention in my first post. The suit I am looking for is a two button with flat front trousers. Turns out that first link ended by the time I got to it lol. Also I find it will be hard for me to shell out the higher end of my price range on suits online just because I wont be able to try them on to see how they fit. especially from ebay but those links give me some ideas on what to search for so again thanks.

Originally Posted by greyinla
If you go online or have your local store order them in, you can get the Fitz in a solid navy and charcoal. Right now they're 2 for 1600, and if you get the corporate card that's another 15% off. I'll second Ehaberdasher as another option.

I don't know if I want to spend 1600 even if it is for two suits. I wont be wearing suits often enough to even warrant two suits in my closest which would then make me think just spend that money on 1 suit which would then open me up to a whole new level of suits to buy, leading to much indecision on my part. I will check out the BB corporate discount if I can figure out an organization code to use.

ssantan2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Is it me or do all the labels including the size tag look wrong. Same thing with the lining.

The inner pocket label is washed out on my screen so can't judge that one.

That is one of the worries I have about ordering a suit on ebay or anywhere online for general. Having said that though I was wondering if anyone has used www.modainstyle.com and liked the quality. I tried searching the forum for the website but didnt get much in terms of information.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssantan2
Thanks for all of the advice guys

Tried signing up but I need some organization code. idk what that is exactly

Log in to the Borders site again, go to the BB offer again and the info will be right below the radio button that takes you to BB.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssantan2
Checked out that website. suit looks good. is it a half-canvassed/canvassed or fused? issue with that website is they don't have any navy's in my size unfortunately. Not having great luck here lol.

Fairly certain it is fully canvassed. At the very least it is half canvassed, but everyone says they are full canvassed, and the owner says he specifies high arm holes to the maker. Other than that, I'm not sure. Oh, and IIRC he's getting new stock in March.

What about an Oxxford in 40R? Honestly, its really really difficult to find a navy suit at a really deep discount, even a used one. Everyone needs one, or two, or three...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent

What about an Oxxford in 40R? Honestly, its really really difficult to find a navy suit at a really deep discount, even a used one. Everyone needs one, or two, or three...

Oxxford navy in a slim cut for $500-$1000?
facepalm.gif
I don't think so.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Oxxford navy in a slim cut for $500-$1000?
facepalm.gif
I don't think so.

OP never specified a slim cut...

And yes you can. Watch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oxxford-Clothes-...item5d2a47229a

Add $500 for the tailoring of the jacket and pants from a master tailor, and presto. Oxxford slim cut. I've done it four times already. Works like a charm. ******* expensive as all hell though... I've paid more for the damn tailoring than the actual garment... :| Granted, I only paid $100 at most for my Oxxfords though...

ssantan2

Reaction score
KObalto, thanks for pointing out that BB number at borders. I feel like an idiot for not seeing it before lol.

bleachboy, just checked out wizards of ahhs store on ebay and saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/DANIELE-MENS-129...ht_10676wt_993

I really like that suit and if what the description says is true seems like a hell of a deal. only one thing tat worries me is idk how it will fit on me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads