• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decisions on first real suit

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Honestly, its really really difficult to find a navy suit at a really deep discount, even a used one. Everyone needs one, or two, or three...

It is harder to find a solid Navy, but it can be done. It's certainly not impossible.

You have a couple of months, so look around for a deal on a Zegna, RLBL, RLPL, Canali, etc. Or if a deal comes up on a Fitz, but that.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to try on a suit first if you know your measurements and have tried the models on in stores. You should expect to take your suit to a good tailor regardless to fine tune the fit. Build a couple of weeks into your timeline to account for this.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
OP never specified a slim cut...

And yes you can. Watch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oxxford-Clothes-...item5d2a47229a

You didn't mention used. That hasn't really been mentioned as an option in this thread. I assumed a slimmer cut because the OP liked the fit of the Fitz. BTW, the suit you linked to is a pinstripe.
The best option seems to be the one mentioned above: get the BB store to order a Fitz in navy and use the Corporate Card.
Benjamin suits have a great reputation for the money but I wouldn't order my first suit off the web.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssantan2
bleachboy, just checked out wizards of ahhs store on ebay and saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/DANIELE-MENS-129...ht_10676wt_993

I really like that suit and if what the description says is true seems like a hell of a deal. only one thing tat worries me is idk how it will fit on me

There is a big thread around here somewhere about Wizard of Ahhhs. Basically, anybody who's tried one of his suits has been really happy with it. They are nice suits and look great; the details on them makes them look like a much more expensive suit. Based on the measurements, it looks like you might want to size down one, depending on your body type.

ssantan2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
You didn't mention used. That hasn't really been mentioned as an option in this thread. I assumed a slimmer cut because the OP liked the fit of the Fitz. BTW, the suit you linked to is a pinstripe.
The best option seems to be the one mentioned above: get the BB store to order a Fitz in navy and use the Corporate Card.
Benjamin suits have a great reputation for the money but I wouldn't order my first suit off the web.

I would like the suit to be new. you are right I did not mention that. I did mention slim cut in the OP but i said "slim style". I guess that might mean something different but yea a slim style solid navy with no pleat flat front trousers and a canvassed interlining are my only real reqs.

bleachboy, how did you determine based on the measurements provided that a size down would be good for me? and is that for just this suit or how they cut all there suits and a general rule for wizards of ahhs?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto

Good points. But you can still get a new Oxxford on ebay for $500 ish. Its a huge crap shoot though as to what the sellers have. Doubtful a solid navy will show up, so I'm with you there.

I concur, the BB Fitz with the corporate card is the best option for a first suit. You can stack the Brooks Buys with the 15% too, so you save even more if you buy two suits. I know you don't want two suits, but think of it this way. A navy and charcoal suit that fits you well will last you for a very very long time. And in the future you won't have to worry about suits.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KObalto, thanks for pointing out that BB number at borders. I feel like an idiot for not seeing it before lol.

The numbers aren't there until you log back in after joining Borders Rewards, rather confusing.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like the suit to be new. you are right I did not mention that. I did mention slim cut in the OP but i said "slim style". I guess that might mean something different but yea a slim style solid navy with no pleat flat front trousers and a canvassed interlining are my only real reqs.

bleachboy, how did you determine based on the measurements provided that a size down would be good for me? and is that for just this suit or how they cut all there suits and a general rule for wizards of ahhs?

If you look at the Wizard's actual measurement chart he uses, the actual measurements are a size down of what is marked. For example, a 38R usually has no larger than 18" shoulders and a 42" chest. Usually a 41" chest is common. So, if I wanted a suit, to get those measurements, I would have to size down to a 36.

Also, from what I've read on the forums, Baroni (the brand he sells and rebrands) is half canvassed, not full canvassed. I also hear they have low arm holes. Again, no personal experience, but I was really really close to buying one and did a lot of research.

ssantan2

Reaction score
That is really weird about the borders reward thing.

It seems like wizards of ahhs Marco Valentino suits are slim cut and I have read some positive threads about those specific suits. I am gonna continue searching some deals but am still torn between if I want to buy a suit online. it pretty much comes to if I do buy a suit in person its going to be a BB fitz but online opens up a lot of options.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never bought a Wizard suit, but he has great cust service and return policy. You can also get as separates if you have a larger than normal drop, which can be a huge plus if you are slim.

Don't expect Oxxford quality, but probably approaching BB quality. I think you get another 10% off for mentioning SF or AAAC, so less than $300 is a very good deal.

ssantan2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff
Never bought a Wizard suit, but he has great cust service and return policy. You can also get as separates if you have a larger than normal drop, which can be a huge plus if you are slim.

Don't expect Oxxford quality, but probably approaching BB quality. I think you get another 10% off for mentioning SF or AAAC, so less than $300 is a very good deal.

Would you consider a MV suit to be a good better deal then a BB then? The more I read about MV suits the more interested I am in purchasing one over the BB fitz

lantern

Reaction score
OP:

Since you're in the Chicago area, I would highly recommend Morris & Sons, Chicago. They have high quality stuff and sell at competitive prices. $500-$1000 is their lower end, but it's all very good quality, sales staff are knowledgeable and their on-site alterations are very good and very reasonably priced.
I got several suits there, and really like the place.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get the BB Fitz now since you can always return it if you change your mind.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 5'9" you may want a short. Not sure though.

ssantan2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
At 5'9" you may want a short. Not sure though.

You know I was actually thinking about too. I noticed some of the jackets I tried were a little on the long side but they said that could be shortened.

Another question I had was about the benjamin suits at ehaberdasher.com

I see that they have solid navy suit seperates for sale. Would that be just the same thing as a solid navy suit from them (which they don't have in stock). I wonder because if it was why wouldn't they just sell them as a suit instead of the seperates. Also are the seperates lower quality then the actual suits like they are at BB?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads