• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding on a quality weekender

Teme

Reaction score
I currently have a 18” Tumi brown leather duffle that serves as my weekender. However, I find it to be too soft in structure and lacking in character. So it gets very little use and I am looking to move up into something that addresses these perceived shortcomings.

After much contemplation the two bags on my shortlist are the Swaine Adeney Oxford and the Ghurka Express. The Gurkha appears a tad more casual and versatile, but I have concerns about the quality. I have no opportunity to see it in advance of purchase and there is a lot of negative stuff around on the quality prior to the firms current owners. The SAB is a safe bet in terms of quality and I also have the opportunity to try before purchase.

So I am still undecided. Any thoughts or experiences you care to share?

248_1400x1400.png

zzggb002_vchz_1_1.jpg

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, the external pouches are a useless waste of space on a weekender bag - not large enough to really put anything in. The problem, in my eyes with the Swaine is the size. 14" is too small so you have to go up to 19". $2000 for a weekender bag just seems like complete overkill. I'm sure it's great quality.
JW hulme has a great duffle at 1/2 the cost:
https://www.jwhulmeco.com/collections/travel/products/continental-duffle

Teme

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I think the pockets have pros and cons. They do make the design busier and more casual. But on the other hand I could see myself using them for headphones, a phone charger, a passport, a paperback or something like that. Having said that, I do kind of prefer the cleaner look of the Swaine Adeney (plus I would most likely be carrying a tote anyway with my camera, phone and iPad in it anyway).

Thanks also for the tip on the JW Hulme. However, for some reason the looks do not work for me. Too many visible rivets or something.

I did spot another alternative that looks very promising, though. The Frank Clegg Signature Travel Duffel. Significantly cheaper than the SAB, but seems to have a very nice and clean design as well as a good reputation for not much more than the JW Hulme.

65954.jpg

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say I like a blue leather bag - much less with baby blue highlights. For a duffle, I'm also not a fan of the box/rectangle shape. My flight bag is a bit different in that regard (since flight bags are rectangular for a reason). But, a rectangular leather duffle just looks off. It also doesn't look like it has a shoulder strap. Another issue for me. A detachable shoulder strap is a must for a weekender bag to me - a quality bag should provide the user with the option. All-in-all, there are just too many design issues for me to consider this bag.

mintchox

Reaction score
I agree the shape looks a bit off, but can't pinpoint why. The shape looks better than the SAB and Ghurka examples above though. I also take issue with the baby blue highlights, it makes the bag look less classic / timeless. Price-wise, I think something in the region of US$700 would be fair, but I'd also be looking for features to distinguish from the alternatives like customisation and good quality zippers / interiors. It doesn't (and shouldn't) be complicated, but well thought out.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It seems you have a high budget so you should have a lot of options. I just saw this Mulberry weekender made of pebble grain calfskin on sale for just over 1/4 of your SAB's full price.
Mulberry weekender.jpg

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mmainz
Please stop resurrecting old threads and pretending you aren't repping the company. People here aren't that dense and no one wants threads from 2018 resurrected.

EDIT: the person to whom I was referring has had their post removed. Thankfully

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads