• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding On A Purchase -- Which One?

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
So I am redoing shoe collection, and I am planning to make a purchase this weekend.

My preference at this particular point:

1) RM Williams Chelsea Boots (Likely Macquarie): http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b555.htm

2) C&J Lowndes: http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

I will EVENTUALLY own both, but I am trying to take my time when it comes to rebuilding due to how costly of an endeavor this is.

If you had to buy ONE at this VERY MOMENT, which one would you pick and why?

Reaction score
Depends for what purpose you mainly intend to wear them. The RMW should be first choice if you are looking for mainly casual with the the odd foray into smart/casual. The C&J should be first choice if you envisage mainly formal/business use (although can work with chinos/jeans at a push).

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
The shoes will be used primarily for social events (partying, dinners, etc.). Likely paired with slim-fitting jeans or dress slacks with a dress shirt and blazer.

Secondary focus would be for business casual purposes as well (C&J with a clear advantage).

Hope that gives some further insight! Thanks for the advice guys.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd start with the RMW chelseas.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
So I am redoing shoe collection, and I am planning to make a purchase this weekend.

My preference at this particular point:

1) RM Williams Chelsea Boots (Likely Macquarie): http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b555.htm

2) C&J Lowndes: http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

I will EVENTUALLY own both, but I am trying to take my time when it comes to rebuilding due to how costly of an endeavor this is.

If you had to buy ONE at this VERY MOMENT, which one would you pick and why?

C&J Lowndes, definitely.

mateoban

Reaction score
agree. lowndes seems to fit your current "specific aims."

however, you can't really go wrong w/ some nice chelseas. they can be worn with a lot of different outfits, and the lowndes may look too dressy for some situations or jeans. just my opinion.

best

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're pretty far out on the risk curve in my opinion, so i assume you're not buying for "need." in that case buy what you want the most. flip a coin, and as you watch it fall, you'll probably know what you want it to land on. i saw that on frasier.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I will buy the Lowndes.

Last question regarding a pair: I know a lot of people say that Lowndes can look great with jeans, but I somewhat get the impression that it could be dressy paired with jeans. Thoughts?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mateoban

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Thanks guys. I think I will buy the Lowndes. Last question regarding a pair: I know a lot of people say that Lowndes can look great with jeans, but I somewhat get the impression that it could be dressy paired with jeans. Thoughts?
sixth, that's what i was trying to explain in my message. i think that they can look good with a nice dark pair of jeans, but they may be too much for a casual jean look. of course, it all depends on the man. i'm sure you will make the right decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads