• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding on a pair of high-end shoes...

crwecko

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and new to buying high-end shoes. I have always been wearing fashion shoes and have recently bought a pair of Balenciaga's (If anyone knows where they are made and who makes them please let me know this as well). Balenciaga is owned by the Gucci Group (PPR) so I am guessing they are made by the same people who make shoes for Gucci?

Ok so basically I have been looking at Berlutti (I know they are made by StefanoBi and are overpriced but the service you get and the colouring methods as well as some of the unique designs draw me to it). I like John Lobb's but they look a bit too industrial for me just like most English made shoes do for some reason. I like the antiquing effect on them but they cost more than most of the Berlutti's I have been looking at (500 pounds vs. 700 pounds) and they dont have any shoes that are just one piece of leather. I dont like stitching or detailing on shoes too much.

I want something for about half the price of Lobb's but close to the same quality level. Something that is handmade and is made of one piece of leather. I have looked at the Sutor Mantalessi Francesino's which I really like. I also like some of the Lattanzi shoe's but they are all a bit too colourful, if they can make the same models in black that would be nice.

Here are some examples of the design and styling I prefer the most:

http://www.oshitate.com/products/oth.../client123.htm

http://www.oshitate.com/products/oth...1/client91.htm

Something like those two or the francesino's is what I am looking for. No rounded or pointy fronts. I live in London and if you guys could suggest a few shoemakers and their models and where I can purchase them here.

Also dont mean to sound stupid but what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different welting methods, I was wondering if someone had a link to a picture comparison. Also why are a lot of the shoes not welted around the shoe even if the sole is stitched on, I kind of like this design but most of the "proper" shoemakers tend not to use it instead putting the welt around the shoe.

Thank you!!!!!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crwecko
I want something for about half the price of Lobb's but close to the same quality level. Something that is handmade and is made of one piece of leather.
You will not find Lattanzis for half the price of Lobbs. If you want a good quality wholecut (one-piece) leather shoe, get the Crockett & Jones Weymouth or the Tricker's Harrow. Both should be sold at the Jermyn St stores of these shoemakers.

EDIT: If you want a nice two-eyelet derby as depicted in the links above, also check out C&J.

crwecko

Reaction score
Hmm... I dont really like either of them that much, I checked out the crocket and jones ones before in the store but they are quite plain. Maybe I just dont like english shoes that much, maybe the italian handmade ones have a higher aesthetical appeal to me. I just found a french one I like as well: The corthay arca. However my dream shoes are the Berluti Guerrier's. Now these are shoes I would gladly pay 500 pounds for but unfortunately they are Bespoke only and cost 4 times as much. The Demessiurs aren't bad as well. I looked at what Norweigan welting is and it makes shoes look a bit bad with all the stitching sticking out IMO. Anyone know of any models that look like the Guerrier by other makers for around 500 pounds?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crwecko
However my dream shoes are the Berluti Guerrier's.

Fiddlesticks, dont know how this Guerrier dingsdongs looks like.

Would have a look at Saint Crispins

ABALO

Reaction score
Check out the C&J Stanley for a two eyelet derby... The Arca is wonderful but definitely pointy.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised no one has recommended VASS U-last. That seems to fit the bill.

sysdoc

Reaction score
You might want to check out C&J's models on the 348 last. It's a pointy chisel toe that is very similar to the Vass U-last. Their 350 last ain't shabby either.
edgware_1tb_web.jpg
Crockett & Jones New Models

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I prefer bals, I really want these from the Paris C&J. These shoes and color are awesome. Since they don't sell directly out of country I was told to call England to have them get it for me and send it to Cal. Haven't gotten around to it though, and it will be pretty pricey I imagine. Not sure if it will be priced in Euros (from Paris) or Pounds.

barstow_11b_dessus.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Only 520 euros now.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
As much as I prefer bals, I really want these from the Paris C&J. These shoes and color are awesome. Since they don't sell directly out of country I was told to call England to have them get it for me and send it to Cal. Haven't gotten around to it though, and it will be pretty pricey I imagine. Not sure if it will be priced in Euros (from Paris) or Pounds.

Great shoe. Call Ron Cress, Manager of the London C&J shop and he will facilitate getting them from the Paris shop.

They will be billed in pounds as the London store takes possession of the inventory and then ships them on to you.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Only 520 euros now.

Have you seen them at the store?? How are they in person? Does the pic reflect the actual color/antiquing. With the exchange rate, might be too much for me...

AP: Thanks. You were the one who told me about Ron. With the 9 (or is it 8 now with daylight savings time) hour difference, I haven't gotten around to calling England (then there's the problem of me not having a land line at home and calling international from my work phone). In your experience, with the price conversion, is the London price comparable to the price in Euros? How much additional is the shipping? Just trying to get an idea of what I can expect to spend.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Have you seen them at the store?? How are they in person? Does the pic reflect the actual color/antiquing. With the exchange rate, might be too much for me...
Well, that includes VAT. But not shipping. So you might get a few euros off.

I suppose I've seen it at the shop, I walk by it often enough when saying hello to the French Alan Flusser, Marc Guyot, next door. TTTT, C&J RTW really doesn't do much for me, despite my having found that a certain size in one of their lasts fits me better than just about any other RTW shoe. I just find Green that crucial bit better and, because of the size and width I'd need at C&J anyway, there's really not a greater selection of shoes for me at C&J. I don't think C&J shoes have that much antiquing; I think those are probably mirror-polished (glacÃ
00a9.png
), which they can do for an extra 40 euros if the shoes don't come that way.

BTW, there is no part of the US I know of with a 9-hour time difference to London. It's 8 hours.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Well, that includes VAT. But not shipping. So you might get a few euros off.

I suppose I've seen it at the shop, I walk by it often enough when saying hello to the French Alan Flusser, Marc Guyot, next door. TTTT, C&J RTW really doesn't do much for me, despite my having found that a certain size in one of their lasts fits me better than just about any other RTW shoe. I just find Green that crucial bit better and, because of the size and width I'd need at C&J anyway, there's really not a greater selection of shoes for me at C&J. I don't think C&J shoes have that much antiquing; I think those are probably mirror-polished (glacÃ
00a9.png
), which they can do for an extra 40 euros if the shoes don't come that way.

BTW, there is no part of the US I know of with a 9-hour time difference to London. It's 8 hours.

Thanks for the info. I like the glace look.

You sure about time difference? I could have sworn from California it was 9 some parts of the year, and I think 8 when we have daylight savings time, since I believe Europe doesn't...i guess I can always google the answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads