• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decided to jump right in here!!!!!

Jmca1

Reaction score
So, this is my first post after I would say about two weeks of lurking. I figured I would start out with a tough one. I love to dress well, and on my time, I do. At work, its a different story. I run, without getting into too much detail yet, a custom audio video/ Integration contracting company for my boss.

The job is great, but I spend most of the time in the field getting pretty dirty, checking job sites while under construction. When I am not in the field, I am in the office, or in finished homes meeting with clients. Here is the challenge, I can be in the office for full days and meetings, but some times, I have an emergency site visit. I don't know how to really step up my dress at work. I love my Turnbull and Asser, Peal, and Golden Fleece, but I dont think you could literally pay me enough to wear it to work!
lol8[1].gif

Usually, i'm in tshirts and jeans. Cheap jeans, that i'm not afraid to beat up. I really want to take it to the next level, but dont want to spend a ton on something i'm probably going to destroy accidentally. Can any or all of you make suggestions on how to step it up without spending a ton? Links and pix would be greatly appreciated!

I am excited to be a member of the forums and looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Warmly,

James

Jmca1

Reaction score
Oh, and one last thing... If you could recommend a great pair, of long lasting shoes, that look better distressed/ beaten up, I would take that under advisement as well.

Thanks again!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a closet in your office for extra sets of clothing?

Jmca1

Reaction score
I do not. The best I could do is keep a set in the car, but its not that big a vehicle.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
You might start by replacing yout t-shirts with polo shirts. Both Lands End and LL Bean have polos that are reasonably priced and offer good quality for the price IMHO.

You might also consider switching to Oxford cloth button down shirts and keep a t-shirt or two in your car or even a pair of coveralls if you have to enter a crawl space or some such place that is not too clean.

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

Jmca1

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure of the quality. What about khakis, chinos, etc???? Who makes an inexpensive, descent quality Oxford cloth shirt?

Thanks Jim, its good to be here. Its nice to be on with like minded individuals.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do something vaguely similar and wear oxford cloth shirts and chinos from Brooks Brothers and Lands End on job sites. The treated non-iron stuff also is somewhat stain resistant and takes a beating too, plus I mainly travel to do installs so not having to press things off is a bonus.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I will second oxford cloth shirts. Look for sales, they can be found just about anywhere. So far as footwear is concerned, there is only one real option open to you. Indy Boots.
biggrin.gif

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jmca1
Oh, and one last thing... If you could recommend a great pair, of long lasting shoes, that look better distressed/ beaten up, I would take that under advisement as well.

Thanks again!

fc2.jpg

fc1.jpg

Alden Flex Chukka Boots from Leather Soul.

Welcome to the forum.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
For relatively inexpensive OCBD shirts, I would again suggest you look at the offerings from LL Bean and Lands End. My dentist always looks sharp and he wears a lot of shirts from Lands End. He usually wears cords or khaki trousers. I would think that might be dressy enough for your work if you can throw a pair of jeans or coveralls in your car for field work.

Note that Lands End also has what they call the Hyde Park which is about ten dollars more than their regular Oxford and a heavier cloth that you may or may not prefer.

Cheers, Jim.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Chas has suggested some very nice chukka boots. Parenthetically, I think the would look good with my tweeds, but you might find Aldens a bit pricey for work shoes.

See what Bean has while you are at their site, and if you don't find anything suitable, I am sure others will suggest some of the better internet shoe merchants. I am leery about buying shoes from a catalog, because of the different fit between various manufacturers and even the differences in fit between lasts from the same source, but it seems to work okay for many others.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least into the 1950s, men whose work put them both in an office and in the field wore what I'd call engineer style. I'm old enough to remember this way of dressing for real "work," but, if you are not, you can see it in any number of movies from that era. A combination for moderate weather might be chino trousers; cotton twill or heavier broadcloth shirt in a solid color; wool, cotton, or rayon tie; ankle high boots in oiled or grained leather with a double or treaded sole; wider leather belt or leather suspenders; waist or hip length zippered jacket of light to medium weight leather, cotton, or wool; and, of course a real hat with a crown and brim. This combination would be modified for warmer or colder weather by decreasing or increasing garment weights/layers as needed. There's no reason why such a combination would not be perfectly appropriate today (minus the hat or with a cap substituted, though I'd still wear the hat), with the added benefit of showing respect for one's clients/customers and oneself. Carry a set of coveralls in the truck/car for really dirty occasions. And all of these garments are durable, easily cleaned/maintained, and readily available at moderate cost (think Sears, Walmart, etc.) with only the boots really calling for a bit of an investment.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey James, if you are in the city, check out Uniqlo in Soho for lots of good basic polos, button down shirts, and solid trousers that are reasonably priced. In the past I've shopped at pretty much all the mall brands and higher end stuff, and this place is really hard to beat quality vs price wise. Good luck with your new wardrobe.

Jmca1

Reaction score
Im going to check Uniqlo out this weekend. Im going to John Allen in Tribeca and figured i'd make a day of popping around in the city. Thanks for all the advice thus far guys! Its a pleasure to be on here!

Jmca1

Reaction score
Oh and one more thing, Eccentric... I ordered the Ultimate Indy boot from Leather Soul yesterday! Cannot wait until January!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads