• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent Workhorse Shoes?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I travel internationally somewhat frequently on business. I am new to the high-end shoe scene, but I am interested in a very durable, decently-styled, somewhat versatile dress shoe that can stand the relatively rough treatment of travel and more than a bit of pavement pounding.

I'm thinking a conservative bal, perhaps a blucher, in dark brown, that will go equally well with wool slacks, suits, and even jeans. They should be comfortable enough for trade show duty, long walks on European streets and to Hong Kong subways, and industrial factory tours. They should be durable enough for all these tasks and maybe even some mild inclement weather. They are also likely to be worn DAILY for 2-3 week stretches, as I wish to pack only 1 pair of shoes. Is this a terrible idea?

Styling would be nice, but really is a plus. I am preferential to sleeker, pointier, more chiseled lasts, but that would be gravy.

I would prefer to pay ~$200 for these, but would gladly shell out $300-400 for the right pair.

Any suggestions on brands/models to look for, and perhaps where I might find a pair at a decent value? Am I confined to AE Park Avenues or are there better options?

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd look at Tricker's

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found myself in similar circumstances traveling for 2+ weeks at a time in Europe, walking mega miles at major trade shows and having to deal with mild to harsh weather. What works best for me is;

-Having shoes that fit properly with plenty of room to wiggle my toes even after hours on my feet or on a hot day.

-Having two pairs of shoes. Your shoes and feet feel better if you rotate them

-I find the combination of a leather or dark suede wingtip with a rubber sole and then a nice leather dress shoe is the perfect combination for any situation. But, I find myself wearing the suede/rubber the most. It is hard to beat a high quality shoe with a rubber sole for walking many miles a day.

-Avoid loafers.

-consider replaceable inner soles for even more comfort.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll definitely need two pairs of shoes. Wearing a shoe all day every day means that the shoe never dries out, and it falls apart much faster.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I travel internationally somewhat frequently on business. I am new to the high-end shoe scene, but I am interested in a very durable, decently-styled, somewhat versatile dress shoe that can stand the relatively rough treatment of travel and more than a bit of pavement pounding.

I'm thinking a conservative bal, perhaps a blucher, in dark brown, that will go equally well with wool slacks, suits, and even jeans. They should be comfortable enough for trade show duty, long walks on European streets and to Hong Kong subways, and industrial factory tours. They should be durable enough for all these tasks and maybe even some mild inclement weather. They are also likely to be worn DAILY for 2-3 week stretches, as I wish to pack only 1 pair of shoes. Is this a terrible idea?

Styling would be nice, but really is a plus. I am preferential to sleeker, pointier, more chiseled lasts, but that would be gravy.

I would prefer to pay ~$200 for these, but would gladly shell out $300-400 for the right pair.

Any suggestions on brands/models to look for, and perhaps where I might find a pair at a decent value? Am I confined to AE Park Avenues or are there better options?

what everyone else has said. for $200-400, you really have a lot of options for the sleek shoe. Ferragamos, Santonis, AE, CJ, etc. could all be had at those prices. Online, outlets, etc.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks to all for advice. I will try to find 2 pairs.

Besides Plal, STP, Yoox, Endless... any good discount websites I should be checking out? I heard Grapevine Hill sometimes has EGs but not that I see...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For really hard use like that, you might be better advised to spend some extra money and make at least one pair (or preferably both) shell cordovan. I think they could stand up to rough use of the sort described much better than calfskin.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And don't shop online unless you really know your size and how a given last fits you. This is the health of your lower back we're talking about--- don't screw around.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
For really hard use like that, you might be better advised to spend some extra money and make at least one pair (or preferably both) shell cordovan. I think they could stand up to rough use of the sort described much better than calfskin.
I have found that two pairs of shell shoes work well for long trips abroad. They can take a beating yet you can shine them up without having to wax them.

For sleeker shoes, try the Darltons from RL. They are at a higher price point but are well made shoes that can look good with both suits and casual attire.

I have a two-week international trip coming up and plan to carry a pair of shell longwings and a pair of monks. I can wear both for business and casual and they're quite comfortable.

Neo1824

Reaction score
I second the rubber-soled suggestion. I have a pair of rubber soled brown suede shoes and they are fantastic for lots of walking. Also, I like to wear monks on travel days for the ease getting through security.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads