• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent tailor in Athens GA?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen a couple other people here from Athens GA, can anyone recommend a decent tailor? No need for MTM (right now) or anything, just fairly basic alterations. Reasonably priced would be a plus, but I'll spend whatever I need to to find someone that won't screw up my stuff.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That bad? Atlanta works out to a lot of driving to get the sleeves on a jacket shortened...

gocartgo

Reaction score
any further input here? i also have not found a local tailor.

videocrew

Reaction score
There's a lady on Atlanta Highway near Mexicali that does good work, but I'm sure George Gibson's, Dick Ferguson's, or the guy on Alps can point you in the right direction.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to the lady at Dick Ferguson's. She certainly put a lot of attention into making sure she got all the measurements and pinning right. Prices are good too, she's shortening sleeves and replacing all the buttons on one jacket for $30, and taking in the waist on another for $40. I pick everything up on March 11, will report in with the results.

I brought in an unstructured and unlined Zegna and she wasn't quite sure how to deal with it. It had faux button holes which were stitched through and she didn't want to shorten the sleeves because of it, wouldn't do it from the shoulder either. Told me to try to one over at George Gibsons.

She's a little tiny Asian woman, probably 70. A bit hard to understand if you're not good with Asian accents (she's Japanese I think).

gocartgo

Reaction score
thanks guys, a few years back i walked into george gibson's with a suit purchased elsewhere and they were fine to hem the pants for me (that's all i needed on that one).

this go around there will be quite a bit more work - i plan on stopping by tomorrow and see if they can/will handle it or point me else where.

on a side note: i feel more comfortable with a male tailor altering a suit than someone with no first hand knowledge on the matter.

videocrew

Reaction score
I think Gibson's may be your best bet. I haven't been since Andy passed away, but they really knew their stuff.

gocartgo

Reaction score
i went into gibson's yesterday to get an indochino suit altered. my buddy picked these out for his wedding, much better than making us rent baggy tuxedos.

$54 total for letting out the jacket body and taking in the waist.

they wouldn't alter the vest, stating it isn't an easy alteration and he wouldn't recommend it. so, i may have to take it to someone else, b/c it flares at the waist.

everything will be ready on friday, so i'll let you guys know how everything came out.

andrewro

Reaction score
I have used Barbara's Alterations on North Ave (in the rundown shopping center near the loop) for several years - I'm actually heading there this week. She's reasonably priced and skilled and has done the usual stuff for me, including waist and hems, and waist suppression in jackets. She also removed some shoulder padding in a sportcoat once, and reset the back of the collar on a TAT suit jacket to eliminate some ripples between my shoulder blades. Always satisfactory.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update: she did a pretty good job, really no complaints so far. Sleeves shortened and buttons replaced for $25, nice clean sewing on all the buttons. They're in a nice straight line too, unlike the last idiot I went to.

Other jacket: taken in at back seam, side seams, sleeves shortened, and button placement moved. She took a big sack that fit in the shoulders and make it look quite nice, and I can still move in it. I haven't worn it out yet, maybe something will come up. $60. Seems very reasonable.

She's also done a couple repair jobs for me for no charge, when I had other work in. Nice.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atlanta is only about 1hr away, I suggest visiting some of the ATL tailors like Mario Bosco or Hong Kong Tailors

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always drive up to Buckhead to see Mario. Dick Ferguson's house tailor seems to be pretty inexpensive, though. I might have to check 'em out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads