• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent Made to Measure Tailors around the Golden Horseshoe

MattJB

Reaction score
I've spent a few days looking through the forums to find the best options in southern Ontario for a made to measure suit (it seems being in Canada is my 1st problem). Most of what I'm coming across is from 8 or more years ago (and mainly focused in Toronto), and I'm wondering if there are any new suggestions outside the downtown core.

I have no experience (other than tip top tailors) with buying a suit and am looking for my first decent suit. I have at least 3 weddings this coming summer and It's time. I live out in the country so I'd prefer to go to smaller cities (Guelph, Kitchener/Waterloo, Oakville). I would prefer to avoid downtown Toronto, but if that's by far the best option then I can make do.

-Bespoke is out of my price range.
-MTM is preferred, but I'm a little worried about not being able to try it on before buying.
-OTR is obviously an option, but I'm concerned that it will be difficult to get a brand, style, colour and quality that I'm looking for at a good deal(sale) all at the same time.

From what I've come across:
-Harry Rosen MTM seems to be a good simple option in my price range (~$1000 - $1500); however, the more I look the more I'm starting to see mixed reviews about their MTM service
-Maxwell Clothiers (MR. PAUL WONG) will be close by later this month; however, I'm also looking for a bit of style/quality advise too as I'm quite ignorant on certain things, and am not sure how the process would go with them being in HK
-Robert Jones; they don't have many details on their site, and I can't seem to find many reviews
-Garrison seems over the top, more about the experience than anything else
-Haiiy & Sons; they dont have many details on their site, and I can't seem to find many reviews
-There are some other places in smaller cities that I've come across that don't have many details on their site as well

As far as brand; It seems that Samuelsohn, Coppley and S. Cohen are probably the best options, which I was happy to find; however the more I research, the more I find emphasis on how important the actual tailor/salesman must be, which now has me worried because I don't want to walk into somewhere like HR and end up with an ill-fitting suit because by luck of the draw I ended up with some bone head.

The main wedding next year will be a British countryside wedding. I'm looking for a solid, modern fitting, dusty or medium blue suit. I plan on wearing suspenders, and possibly a vest. I recent picked up my 1st pair of "well made" shoes (https://global.allenedmonds.com/all...F31320.html?dwvar_SF31320_color=31320#start=1) the darker brown ones.

Any, and all advice/suggestions/referrals are extremely appreciated, and I apologize for the long post!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not in Ontario but Spier and Mackay makes very good OTR jackets and suits particularly for their price. I have a couple of jackets and you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and jackets costing 4x more. They have an MTM program but I have no direct experience with it. They have a Mississauga location.

mlstein

Reaction score
I am not in Ontario but Spier and Mackay makes very good OTR jackets and suits particularly for their price. I have a couple of jackets and you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and jackets costing 4x more. They have an MTM program but I have no direct experience with it. They have a Mississauga location.
Totally agree. Don't go anywhere else, at least to start; you're not going to find a better price /quality ratio anywhere. I find it worth the three hours' drive from where I live in Rochester, New York.

MattJB

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies; I was looking at S&M for shirts a couple years back, I didn't know they were so recommended for suits. Their OTR prices seem quite low which made me a little skeptical.

I notice they have a shop by the airport and one downtown, is there much of a difference between the two if either of you have been to both?

@mlstein Do you have experience with their MTM suits, or only OTR? There's doesn't seem to be any info online beyond their MTM shirts.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MTM suit program requires an in-person appointment—they do not offer online MTM at this time so that’s probably why it’s not described on their website.
I doubt you’ll find someone who has had an MTM suit made at both locations. S&M seems like an honest operation, perhaps best just to give them a call and ask them what they’d recommend.

mlstein

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies; I was looking at S&M for shirts a couple years back, I didn't know they were so recommended for suits. Their OTR prices seem quite low which made me a little skeptical.

I notice they have a shop by the airport and one downtown, is there much of a difference between the two if either of you have been to both?

@mlstein Do you have experience with their MTM suits, or only OTR? There's doesn't seem to be any info online beyond their MTM shirts.
Don't be suspicious of the low prices. Check out the very enthusiastic fans on this forum, or Derek Guy or https://putthison.com/spier-and-mackay-jacket-review/; their suits are the real deal. I will confess that I have no experience with MTM, since I fit their 38s Contemporary fit perfectly, but what I hear online is very favorable.

The Mississauga store is the main one, with a much bigger selection (and parking, too).

MattJB

Reaction score
The Mississauga store is the main one, with a much bigger selection (and parking, too).

Perfect, that works best for me.

Thank you to you both. I'll definitely go have a look.

JohnEnglish

Reaction score
I used to get stuff at Garrison Bespoke but they've priced themselves out of my range. I emailed them back in the summer and the sales person that replied told me that their average client spend per suit was $8,000 - $10,000. I said I was looking for something cheaper and I never got a reply.

The Dirty is run by a former Garrison employee and is nearby on King. He takes a little longer as it's a smaller operation but it's the same quality as Garrison, he offers a ton of customization, and very fair prices.

golfnutter66

Reaction score
I have had very good experience with Maxwell Clothiers (MR. PAUL WONG), but I know my measurements and exactly how long the jacket is to be and usually I will bring a favourite fitting jacket and pants to make sure they know exactly what I am looking for. Have not been disappointed.

MattJB

Reaction score
The Dirty is run by a former Garrison employee and is nearby on King. He takes a little longer as it's a smaller operation but it's the same quality as Garrison, he offers a ton of customization, and very fair prices.
Garrison is advertising 2 made to measure tiers starting at $995 & $1800; those are clearly not bespoke though. Is The Dirty even cheaper then that? or does he only offer true bespoke?

I have had very good experience with Maxwell Clothiers (MR. PAUL WONG), but I know my measurements and exactly how long the jacket is to be and usually I will bring a favourite fitting jacket and pants to make sure they know exactly what I am looking for. Have not been disappointed.
Sounds like a good option down the road. Feels like it's best to figure out what fits me; and which styles I prefer before doing something like that. Unless you've found they're quite good at style advice?

JohnEnglish

Reaction score
Garrison is advertising 2 made to measure tiers starting at $995 & $1800; those are clearly not bespoke though. Is The Dirty even cheaper then that? or does he only offer true bespoke?
My understanding is that he offers MTM and bespoke. I'd suggest following up with him directly as I haven't asked about MTM suits and I don't want to misspeak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads