• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent low-priced lightweight wool coat?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a need maybe 10x a year for a "respectable" wool coat to wear over a sports coat for work events. I'm having a hard time finding a budget option, as I'm not really able to drop $700 + on a midrange or mtm option for something that won't get much use.

However, the department-store or really low-end stuff is either awful or looks to be bad VFM. I don't mind doing a D2C order, but any suggestions? (aiming for 300 eurodollars). Just needs to look respectable. Looking for something in a lightweight wool (navy/camel) and mid-thigh length.

TIA

rjc149

Reaction score
Unfortunately, new 100% wool overcoats in this price range ($300) don't exist. Trust me. I've looked.

Upping your budget to $500 opens your options up to Spier and Mackay, Suit Supply, Indochino etc. but I can't speak for their coats since I didn't go that route. Reviews seem to be generally good. I looked elsewhere because I was concerned about the wool weight -- I gathered it was a lighter-weight wool which isn't suitable for Northeast American winters. I also felt the coats were too short to be real winter overcoats. But if shorter and lighter weight is what you're shooting for, maybe this is a good place to look.

mkbk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, new 100% wool overcoats in this price range ($300) don't exist. Trust me. I've looked.

Upping your budget to $500 opens your options up to Spier and Mackay, Suit Supply, Indochino etc. but I can't speak for their coats since I didn't go that route. Reviews seem to be generally good. I looked elsewhere because I was concerned about the wool weight -- I gathered it was a lighter-weight wool which isn't suitable for Northeast American winters. I also felt the coats were too short to be real winter overcoats. But if shorter and lighter weight is what you're shooting for, maybe this is a good place to look.
What do you recommend for Northeast winters?

rjc149

Reaction score
What do you recommend for Northeast winters?
I bought a mint condition vintage (1990's) Hart Schafner Marx overcoat from Ebay for $90, and spent $270 having it tailored. All in I'm $350, which is far cheaper than a new coat of this quality and warmth. It's 100% heavy wool -- no blends with cashmere or any synthetics. The coat is thick and hefty, I'm guessing 4-5 lbs. It's the type of wool overcoat you want for real winter. It takes me down to low 20's F, even in driving wind. Below that, I wear a down parka.

In my thread above I elaborate on the lack of suitable options for overcoats, especially in department stores where everything is either cheap wool/poly blend or 100% cashmere from designer brands (100% cashmere is too light for real winter). You either have to pony up the funds, or roll the dice on Ebay. I lucked out.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have one of the Spier coats from last year's run. From what I can tell, it's not a really heavyweight overcoat however it does suit the winter climate where I live. We don't get real winters like you do in NYC however the coat works well for DC 'winters.'

I think this coat can handle into the teens with a suit or sweater underneath however. Mind you, I also don't get cold easily so YMMV.

rjc149

Reaction score
I have one of the Spier coats from last year's run. From what I can tell, it's not a really heavyweight overcoat however it does suit the winter climate where I live. We don't get real winters like you do in NYC however the coat works well for DC 'winters.'

I think this coat can handle into the teens with a suit or sweater underneath however. Mind you, I also don't get cold easily so YMMV.
Yes this was my concern... I had my DB topcoat made for me by a Hong Kong tailor, and (stupidly) without choosing the fabric, I asked for the "heaviest winter wool they had." It arrived, and was certainly the heaviest winter wool they had -- for Hong Kong winter. It's a light spring/fall coat for me, gets worn a 2-3 weeks per year, if that. When a suit jacket isn't warm enough for commuting, it's usually time to break out the heavy coat. There's little 'in-between' weather for this coat. Nice coat, but a bit of a waste of money.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For NE winters I would want at least 700g overcoat. I have a 700g, 900g and something I think is around 500-600 - nice fall coat but not warm enough for winter here in NE Ohio

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'm not looking for a heavy, long coat but something that I can use down to about 0 celsius, so more of a 3 season. I may have to up the budget a bit...

rjc149

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'm not looking for a heavy, long coat but something that I can use down to about 0 celsius, so more of a 3 season. I may have to up the budget a bit...
0 C = 32 F = freezing = winter weather. I would recommend getting a proper winter coat. You can always wear it unbuttoned in milder temperatures.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0 C = 32 F = freezing = winter weather. I would recommend getting a proper winter coat. You can always wear it unbuttoned in milder temperatures.

Some people just run warm though. Personally, I would never need a max weight coat, especially over a suit. A leather bomber jacket over a sweater gets me down into the low 40s…I can definitely wear a mid weight coat over a suit at 32f all day long.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people just run warm though. Personally, I would never need a max weight coat, especially over a suit. A leather bomber jacket over a sweater gets me down into the low 40s…I can definitely wear a mid weight coat over a suit at 32f all day long.
I definitely run warm, and here in Paris it rarely gets below freezing in winter. When I lived in NYC I had a heavy wool overcoat from BB that could stop an artillery shell, but I've worn it maybe 3 times in 10 years in Europe. I'll check out Suit Supply as there's a store near me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads