• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent looking casual outfit? (pics)

CarllraC

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at wearing a sweater. I have on dark-ish jeans, with a pink and white striped shirt, and a grey V-neck sweater on top. I have the shirt tucked in, the collar is not buttoned, the sleeves are rolled up one roll, and the sweater sits in the cuff formed by the sleeve.

What do you think? Also, would this pass for "good looking" in circles of people who aren't exactly super-fashionable? Are there any obviously bad parts?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i would say not bad. but cold weather permitting, perhaps a sports jacket over your attire would be nice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sharp. The sweater could be a little more fitted (if you want, it's not bad as is), and then toss on a jacket or a peacoat and you're good to go.

CoryB

Reaction score
I like the sweater/shirt combo. I wore a very similar outfit today. Dark wash jeans, purple/white striped shirt, and brown merino sweater. My difference was leaving the sleeves down with a hint of cuff showing. I agree with a j that it could be more fitted, but otherwise nice. I'm also interested regarding the look's "fashionable-ness".

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's decent. You could have sized down that sweater, though, and I'm not fond of the Express logo, though I'll admit to having a few tshirts with it, myself.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I always tuck the collar of my shirt inside the sweater, looks much better IMO

MrR

minimal

Reaction score
Can't tell anything without seeing the shoes.
smile.gif
But with the right ones, I think it's the definition of a good, casual, somewhat-but-not-too-stylish ensemble.

southbound35

Reaction score
I think the outfit looks good and the sizing seems fine to me. Going forward, I'd try to find deals on sweaters without a logo.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the top half looks good. but i probably would have gone with a darker pair of jeans to contrast with the lighter grey sweater. then again it could just be the evil influence of the Streetwear forum and their obessesion with dark dry selvage.
devil.gif

-Jeff

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
looks fine. the grey and the pink look good together. overall, nothing's offensive and it's a solid look

the Express sweater seems to fit fine for what it is, being a boxier cut...but a slimmer cut sweater would bump the stylish-ness of this same outfit a few points

Darker dry denim would add even more notches, since the color value of your top is very mid-tones, so are your jeans which give you a slightly washed out look with all the even-ness of tone

the shoes, which we can't see, might be the dealmaker/breaker

oldseed

Reaction score
the responses here have been politely muted. rolling up the cuff, along with a pink dress shirt, frankly, makes you look gay, not metro. and tuck that collar in. but then again, if you are gay, then you look fine.

seed

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
the responses here have been politely muted. rolling up the cuff, along with a pink dress shirt, frankly, makes you look gay, not metro. and tuck that collar in. but then again, if you are gay, then you look fine.

seed

Your posts are always great. Messenger bags are gay, pink is gay, rolled cuffs are gay; may I ask for a good ol' boy outfit suggestion that will pass you straightness test?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I dont like the rolled look of the shirt and sweater. From a practical standpoint, the sleeves of the sweater become irreversibly stretched once you roll them to your forearms. I think the fit is perfect, once you get a bit more "fitted" or tight, the look starts to border on hipster or metro. I prefer the classic cut.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Personally, I dont like the rolled look of the shirt and sweater. From a practical standpoint, the sleeves of the sweater become irreversibly stretched once you roll them to your forearms. I think the fit is perfect, once you get a bit more "fitted" or tight, the look starts to border on hipster or metro. I prefer the classic cut.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads