1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Decent In-Ear 'phones?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Britalian, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

My wife uses the JVC Marshmellows phones. She loves them.

Geez fran, given your posts in here about all things audiophiliac, how do you deal with the mental anguish everytime she pops those babies into her ears?

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Geez fran, given your posts in here about all things audiophiliac, how do you deal with the mental anguish everytime she pops those babies into her ears?

I'm not so audiophile I don't recognize a good value like the JVC. I really try to find great performance for low money when I can.

One example is a hirez music server I heard today that involved a $350 Netbook and a $75 M Audio link. Terrific sound on 24/96 FLAC files played through the free app Media Monkey.

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

They come with other sizes of rubber tips to fit different size ear canals, so that might explain the poor fit. I don't find them overly bassy, at least compared to the stock iPod earbuds, but I am by no means an audiophile. I have never even touched the equalizer on my car stereo, I'd never tell the difference if I did,

I still think they fit the bill of "decent" earbuds, particularly for 20 bucks..

actually she has the way-more-expensive ones (~$70 i think), which are kind of chunky-metal arrangements....very weird shape. Cool looking, but even with the smallest rubber things, they are uncomfortable.

These:

[​IMG]

4. macmed

macmed Member

www.head-fi.org
    ok..i'll check it
    Just for the record, earphones/headphones and audiophiles have nothing in common.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have some good looking ones from Phillips that are $15 and over a year old... and are infinitely less gay than the white Apple ones.

LOL.. i use phillips to..

5. Artisan Fan

Just for the record, earphones/headphones and audiophiles have nothing in common.

[​IMG]

Beg to differ. [​IMG]

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/

6. audiophilia

audiophilia Well-Known Member

7. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

The old Apple in earphones were horrendously bad. The new ones are not that much better. In fact, for the price, they are dreadful. The imbalance/lack of bass is epic.
    But the newer IEM's, with dual balanced armatures, are really very good.
    I got a pair of the new $80 Apple IEMs on a lark right before a cross-country trip recently, and properly sealed, they are very fine headphones indeed. Unfortunately, for my ears, none of the stock silicone buds seal very well, and they sound terrible with no bass and an electronic-y sound with those buds. They're so bad, a few seconds in, listening to them, I was trying to figure out if I could return them. Fortunately, I tried them out with the white flanged Etymotic eartips before doing that, and that completely transformed them! They went from completely unlistenable to better sound than the c. 1993 Ety ER-4S, plugged into a 1st-gen iPod Touch. They have a rounded, layered quality to their sound. Some might call them laid back, but the detail is still there as are the high frequencies. Their soundstaging is quite a bit more subtle than the Etys, with different layers of depth easily discernable. Their bass is pretty fantastic: deep (especially for headphones), and articulate. You will be able to hear all the bass notes played individually. Nothing is shoved in your face, but is there for your examination should you choose to pay attention to it. By comparison, the Etys are a bit dryer, and have a high midrange sheen that's especially noticeable on massed strings. The Etys initially sound more detailed, but after a little listening you realize that's just a frequency boost you're hearing. The Etys aren't as nuanced in their presentation of depth, nor in their bass articulation. Surprisingly, the noise-isolation is much better on the Apples, too. The Ety tips' canals are a bit longer and narrower than than the stem of the Apple IEMs, but will fit over them fine --- you just have to be careful removing them from your ears so they don't get left in there. Properly sealed, the new Apple IEMs are a fantastic bargain, easily outperforming what was considered one of the best IEMs made. I'm retiring the Etys, and using the Apples from now on. I'm also trying to figure out if someone makes custom earmolds for the Apples. --Andre

8. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

I have the Etymotics and their sound isolation is excellent if you wear them properly...(not wearing them properly = massive deterioration in both audio quality and isolation) Would like to try the Apple's some day if they really sound as good as you say...but fairly happy with mine.

9. amnesiac

amnesiac Well-Known Member

I rest my case.
    Head-fi's nice for headphone advice, but there was just too much cable/power conditioning/you can't tell me what i can or can't hear through these isolator insulating electromagnetic shielding ear drops business going on. Just look at the inbred "discussions" in the Sound Science forum. Headphones do have their place, I just like the soundstaging and imaging of speakers better if it can be helped, and if you can also afford the effort to get the room set-up right (hardwood floors in dorms are not speaker friendly). I use Koss Portapros walking around and Grado SR60s when the roommates complain. Yuin is also supposed to be good, though I haven't heard them myself. Also, the cx300 and the creative canal buds that come from the same line are pretty good, I just can't get over the feeling of having something even that much in my ear [​IMG]

10. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

My Klipsch Image X5 just failed so I replaced them with the Kenwood FX500. A good pair of phones, I recommend them.

11. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

I have the Etymotics and their sound isolation is excellent if you wear them properly...(not wearing them properly = massive deterioration in both audio quality and isolation) Would like to try the Apple's some day if they really sound as good as you say...but fairly happy with mine.

By wearing them properly you mean over the ear?

I'm in the market for a pair of mid-range IEMs to replace my dead Shures. Been looking at the Ety ER-4P, Phonak PFE and Shure SE310 (leaning towards the Phonaks atm). Anyone have any opinions?

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of the Bose IE headphones. The sound is good to my ears, although my eardrums are probably supremely messed up after years of drumming and listening to very loud music. That said, the damn things just feel as if they are about to fall out of my ears, and I've tried all the sizes of the rubber buds that came with them. Wondering if I should just buy the over the ear headphones for listening at home, and stick with my Sony earbuds for running?

13. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of the Bose IE headphones. The sound is good to my ears, although my eardrums are probably supremely messed up after years of drumming and listening to very loud music. That said, the damn things just feel as if they are about to fall out of my ears, and I've tried all the sizes of the rubber buds that came with them. Wondering if I should just buy the over the ear headphones for listening at home, and stick with my Sony earbuds for running?
    Me too! Just dropped a bill for the Bose earphones and I can't keep the right one in. Gimped ear anatomy, I guess. Gonna have to take them back. Bummer, because they sound quite nice and were convenient to buy. These are supposed to fit well http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea.../dp/B000XP8DJC

14. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

15. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

For Apple dual-driver IEM users who are looking for better ear pieces (which will make or break the listening experience of these very good-sounding IEMs), I recently got earpieces from Comply, and they work very well. I've been using the medium-sized T-140s.

http://www.complyfoam.com

I had been using the flanged tips from the ER-4s, and while they do work well, they tend to be a bit dark sounding, and they come off too easily. The Complys are also more comfortable.

--Andre

16. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Well-Known Member

I didn't post in this thread in response to the OP because the OP was on a budget, but since the thread has somewhat evolved since, I'll throw out a recommendation for the Westone UM3X. [​IMG]

17. Artisan Fan

[​IMG] I can't believe you chose those over the other fine recommendations here.

18. slumdawgbillionaire

slumdawgbillionaire Well-Known Member

19. guitarpkr76

guitarpkr76 Well-Known Member

Haven't read through the whole thread so these might have been mentioned. But I like the Shure E2s for the price.

20. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

I owned Shure e2C long time ago. They were nice. I liked them for the price.

They are now replaced by Shure SE110

problems: cord is way to THICK and stiff. They always "get in the way"... esp with the awkward reverse-looped way its supposed to mount to ears

For same price I prefer Etymotic ER6i with thinner cord that "drapes" and has a shirt clip