• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

December in Toronto: What shoes?

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
The best thing to do is check the forecast and be prepared. Toronto will definitely be covered in snow come Christmas, but between now and then we'll experience flurries, a major snowfall, and then... it'll all melt away, we'll have nice weather, but be pissed that we couldn't predict it. Snow maintenance is usually pretty good here so you might be able to get away with wearing the same shoes in December that you're wearing right now. Simply picking up overshoes might be the best way of being prepared for whatever good or bad weather we end up having.

davidj19

Reaction score
Blundstones are pretty decent. I wear them here in Halifax all winter.

Doc4

Reaction score
Not shoes, but boots. The first time you step into a puddle of slush, you will remember this advice.

And get rubber soles, preferably with some tread.

If you expect your time outside will be anything more than a couple blocks at a time, make room for thicker, warmer socks, too.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abrocketsfan
chukka boots with dainite sole would work?

Pebble-grain or cordovan is preferable to suede or very fine calf but you should be fine as long as you're staying in the city, and barring any major storms. Lug soles are better than dainite for traction.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Yeah, and overshoes are cheap and easy to pack in a suitcase since they're flexible. Hard to find a pair that are attractive though. They tend to be more functional than anything.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
I've heard eccos are decent in the snow and slush..but never actually owned a pair...any thoughts?

Doc4

Reaction score
A Vibram "gumlite" lug sole provides great ice traction.
cold[1].gif

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TBSDSpaniard
I've heard eccos are decent in the snow and slush..but never actually owned a pair...any thoughts?

I had bad experience with a pair of eccos I bought years ago. Then I 'upgrade' to Aldo lol

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidj19
Blundstones are pretty decent. I wear them here in Halifax all winter.

Another vote for Blundstones, they work really well at any time of year. Weather in Toronto speaking as a long time resident can be really up and down. We are getting snow flurries next week, but the following week could be rain. So Blundts rule.

Bill

DocRob0593

Reaction score
After ruining good shoes for too long I invested in a pair of NEOS overshoes. They're totally waterproof so you can step off a curb into several inches of water or slush if you need to. But the best thing is that they fold nearly flat and I can easily pack into either my briefcase or my computer bag. They're not necessarily cheap, but then again neither are decent shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads