• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decade's End: Top Ten Collections 2000-2010

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
facepalm.gif
For people who make marsupialed posts in this thread, I shall attribute to you a season. Yours is Andrew Mackenzie S/S 2005. http://www.milanfashionshows.com/spr...zie/photos.htm

Wow this is gold

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
the only raf collection i really dug, end to end, was that hippie/eloi spring/summer collection. made a statement without being overt or too anything.

Re: YSL/Slimane... I forgot how thin those dudes were... Probably wearing Large though, eh rach?
lol8[1].gif

Large=size 44 or so. Sizing is dumb, like old Balenciaga dumb.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Large=size 44 or so. Sizing is dumb, like old Balenciaga dumb.

We were having the same thought; I was getting ready to say, "Sizing was about as odd as the first Balenciaga seasons."

I remember trying on, IIRC, a size 54 once in the very early Balenciaga men's seasons. I'm like a 46-48 in everything else.

The YSL stuff was very odd, too. Not just in the sizing, but in the way it was cut. I think I remember reading once that it was best fitted on a "very large snake."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were having the same thought; I was getting ready to say, "Sizing was about as odd as the first Balenciaga seasons."

I remember trying on, IIRC, a size 54 once in the very early Balenciaga men's seasons. I'm like a 46-48 in everything else.

The YSL stuff was very odd, too. Not just in the sizing, but in the way it was cut. I think I remember reading once that it was best fitted on a "very large snake."

Yeah, those seasons made no sense at all, under any sizing system. I remember the SA saying "it fits sort of small" so I sized up to a 52, (I was a 50 at the time) and was literally squeezed like a sausage - and this was before Hedi Slimane superslim fits becasue the norm, so it felt really odd. Back in 2000, 2001, 2002, Costume National, Helmut Lang (before the brief move to NYC,) Miu Miu, Prada (do you guys remember Prada's "western" season?) Martin Margiela, Jil Sander, all of whom, imo, have fallen off since then, all did some very solid menswear collections. And Moleskin was used much more prevalently! Bring back moleskin. Helmut Lang and Costume National, in particular, made great use of it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Yeah, those seasons made no sense at all, under any sizing system. I remember the SA saying "it fits sort of small" so I sized up to a 52, (I was a 50 at the time) and was literally squeezed like a sausage - and this was before Hedi Slimane superslim fits becasue the norm, so it felt really odd. Back in 2000, 2001, 2002, Costume National, Helmut Lang (before the brief move to NYC,) Miu Miu, Prada (do you guys remember Prada's "western" season?) Martin Margiela, Jil Sander, all of whom, imo, have fallen off since then, all did some very solid menswear collections. And Moleskin was used much more prevalently! Bring back moleskin. Helmut Lang and Costume National, in particular, made great use of it.
I still have a few pairs of the original "technofabric" Prada pants... the ones made of wool, rubber, metal, etc. before they just put in elastic. They were great and had the most wonderful feel. Lang's old fabrics were very neat (I had forgotten all about Moleskin!), and of course one of Jil's key selling points was always innovative, luxe fabric. CN always was a hit in the STYLE, for me, but he sometimes went too far with the fabrics. I had a few pieces from AW02 or thereabouts, and I think Cappasa was going for a coated cotton, but instead it sort of felt like a thick plastic garbage bag.
lol8[1].gif
One other neat thing about the Hedi YSL seasons was that most of the items that look like Nylon are, in fact, 100% silk. That's one reason why things as simple as the black karate/judo pants were $600+. I almost bought a pair of the leather pants, too. I wish I had, though I have no clue where I'd have worn them, and they cost as much as my first car.
frown.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a gold silk tshirt and some black pants... size L and was tight on my 46 frame
lol8[1].gif

Not sure what happened to the shirt or the pants, though
frown.gif

I second the moleskin comment, not sure why that fell off.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the SW&D Veterans (meaning us dinosaurs nearing, or past, thirty y.o.) ought to take two days and wear old-school stuff. Take pictures wearing your lang moleskin, prada techno, Cn garbage bags, YSL and Balenciaga tube tops (haha).

I think most of my stuff is still in storage; I may take a trip out and see what I can come up with.
lol8[1].gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too bad I got rid of my HL 'phantom collar', could wear that with the 'inside out' cowboy jeans for the full look
lol8[1].gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I think the SW&D Veterans (meaning us dinosaurs nearing, or past, thirty y.o.) ought to take two days and wear old-school stuff. Take pictures wearing your lang moleskin, prada techno, Cn garbage bags, YSL and Balenciaga tube tops (haha).

I think most of my stuff is still in storage; I may take a trip out and see what I can come up with.
lol8[1].gif

I posted a pic wearing an HL moleskin suit and a leather tie.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the SW&D Veterans (meaning us dinosaurs nearing, or past, thirty y.o.) ought to take two days and wear old-school stuff. Take pictures wearing your lang moleskin, prada techno, Cn garbage bags, YSL and Balenciaga tube tops (haha). I think most of my stuff is still in storage; I may take a trip out and see what I can come up with.
lol8[1].gif

I think the old geezers should pass that stuff onto people whose frames they actually fit
laugh.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny you say that, over lunch I dug the cowboy jeans out and they're a 32 :/ too big now! sale time!

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Lanvin summer 2007. http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/brief/S2007MEN-LANMEN Catamite chic. I'm thoroughly sick of Lanvin now, but I wanted it bad back then. Bottega Veneta Fall 2006. http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/brief/F2006MEN-BVMEN Wearable classic luxury with enough quirk to the cuts and fabrics to let you know you aren't looking at Zegna. A few streetwear elements in there too. I still use the photos to plan winter outfit colour/texture combos - with other brands of course.
^Good additions. FW06 was really a great season, probably my favorite in recent memory. A LOT of excellent collections, luxurious, wearable, romantic. Even designers that I usually dislike (Dsquared, DG, etc.) did interesting, not bad collections worth a second look. In that vein, usually LV leaves me going "meh," but their FW05 Nureyev-inspired season was really nice. Not in my top ten, over the top luxurious, unwearable, and expensive ($40k ostrich coat, anyone?), but romantic and sort of, "I wish I could do that!" LV FW05: http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/complete/F2005MEN-LVMEN
Originally Posted by KitAkira
I think the old geezers should pass that stuff onto people whose frames they actually fit
laugh.gif

Hey, hey, watch it or I'm going to give you FW 2002 Givenchy Couture by Julien MacDonald. You dont want to go there!
lol8[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just thought I'd bring this thread back up in case some others had any ideas. Some excellent collections have been posted; which ones have we missed?

No Dries? Galliano? Bernhard Willhelm? (haha j/k)

Stone

Reaction score
YSL S/S 2007 and F/W 2007...elegant, strange, beautifully made - I wish I had more from these two collections. Pilati is a genius.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads