• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Death or This God-awful threak?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm surprised no one in DT has started a "Poll: Deack or Vaginism?" thread yet. Disappointed even...
confused.gif

That's actually a smart title for a dumb thread.

Originally Posted by Nosu3
No, people don't forget lizards, there are campaigns for reptiles too. If by image you mean only appearance, then I'd have to disagree, unless by image you are considering other non-physical likeness.

Maybe a select group, but really, nobody in the general public really gives a flying **** about lizards.

dv_indian

Reaction score
What's the hurry? You can choose to die anytime you want.
Practice veganism for a few months and then decide if death is a better option.

Keebs

Reaction score
Vegan-ism is hard core, I am a vegetarian, and I do not even want to pick Vegan (no slight towards Vegans) So many things are from the products of animals, and i enjoy cheese on my pizza

coonky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Keep telling yourself that, Mengele.
Quite the exaggeration.
Originally Posted by Roikins
laugh.gif
Let me know how your veganism works when you step up to injecting SD rats and balb/c mice with cancer cells or implanting osmotic pumps with chemicals to induce arthritis before having to do cardiac punctures, cervical dislocations, and then slicing them open to yank out spleens or using a giant guillotine to collect their limbs.

Some researchers are more sensitive to animal suffering than others, but overall there is a genuine effort to reduce suffering when you're confronted with it everyday. No mouse researcher I know enjoys killing mice. The idea is that research minimizes the cruelty at every opportunity. The idea is that by experimenting on these animals, it will help people and maybe even other animals in the future. Whether this is truly the case, we can never really know. It's something I think about often. I don't claim to have all the answers. All I can say is how I feel, coupled with some possibly imperfect logic. Until then, I'll do my best to minimize how much animal suffering and environmental damage I cause.
Originally Posted by Roikins
And I don't think you can dump the flies into ethanol unless they're knocked out, otherwise, they fly away; that's the only way I've ever done it.
If you do it fast enough, they don't fly away. Not too difficult.
Originally Posted by samus
My suspicion is that many can't bear confrontation with ethical dilemma, and when vegetarians and vegans make their case, no matter how unobtrusively, it sparks some sort of cognitive dissonance that results in unreasonable hatred. It's almost a religious thing. I, for one, have thought about the issues and I have definitely changed my eating behaviors, but I chose to continue eating meat raised in humane ways. I'm not perfect about it, but neither does consciousness of the issues involved inflame my passions. Are there obnoxious, self-righteous vegans and vegetarians out there? Certainly. I haven't read the veal thread, and so again I won't vouch for comments made there. But really? This all just seems a little ridiculous.
Thanks, well said. When I first posted in the veal thread, I just wanted to raise a little awareness. The "how much suffering are you willing to induce" phrase, I feel, is a powerful one. I didn't think it would spark such a hate-fest. I'm not one of them arrogant vegans. I do love this gif though:
tumblr_kyby7pa0J81qzxzwwo1_500.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coonky
The "how much suffering are you willing to induce" phrase, I feel, is a powerful one.
I think that considering your daily activities, there's a hefty dose of irony here.
laugh.gif

coonky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think that considering your daily activities, there's a hefty dose of irony here.
laugh.gif

I already explained my position on this.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We probably eat more real vegetables than vegetarians do, but I don't think it would be possible to go full vegetarian.

To not hurt anything in your entire life is impossible. All I'm saying is that eating animals is unnecessary. To do research, it is sometimes necessary. If I have to, I kill flies. But when I do, it's for a purpose other than just having something tasty in my mouth.

By the way, schizophrenic is not the same thing as split-personality. I think you meant split-personality.

When do you have to kill flies?

I assume it's when you want to?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already explained my position on this.
You tried, yes. That said, you baited people with your "powerful phrase" before you let people know that you inflict pain and suffering to animals on a daily basis. I'm no psychiatrist but I think it's crystal clear why you would consciously or unconsciously decide to become a vegan, and why you'd want to advertise it loudly. Is that conscience cleansing exercise working at least?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How do vegans rationalize the millions of mammals, and other lower lifeforms, that are killed in the farming of their food every year? Do they use an argument based on utility? Just ignore it?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How do vegans rationalize the millions of mammals, and other lower lifeforms, that are killed in the farming of their food every year? Do they use an argument based on utility? Just ignore it?
Or when they walk in the grass. Oh the wooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmms. I would never kill animals just so I could have a walk in the park. You have to think of the consequences.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Or when they walk in the grass. Oh the wooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmms. I would never kill animals just so I could have a walk in the park. You have to think of the consequences.

Dood. Don't step on worms. It's gross.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canine teeth... that's a pretty advanced argument right there

The very first one is hilarious though.

svelten

Reaction score
Veganism really isn't so bad that you'd have to kill yourself. When we're getting into serious raw veganism or the ever elusive "fruitarianism" is when I really draw the line. Death might not be an option, it will probably become inevitable.

coonky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
We probably eat more real vegetables than vegetarians do, but I don't think it would be possible to go full vegetarian.

When do you have to kill flies?

I assume it's when you want to?

We use genetically-modified flies that shouldn't be let out into the environment. When we have no space for them, we kill them. Also, for some experiments, I need to dissect flies to harvest their organs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads