Death or This God-awful threak?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Voted death but in reality I'd pick veganism. I do prefer meat but oh wait vegans are the no milk no fish blabla, ok death it is...

Damn, bad voting on my part. I thought this had to do with living in Vegas.

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

I could easily be a vegetarian as long as it wasn't too strict.

this is my feeling. funny scene played out each year @ family/friends gathering hosted by nice italians who have been lectured/hectored by 'strict' vegetarian about her dietary requirements. amazing meal is invariably interrupted by shriek for veggie who demands to know "what is this!?" host responds (w/ a shrug) ' just a little prosciutto/pancetta/speck/etc. for flavor'

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^^^ you can replace vegan/vegetarian with kosher and get the exact same scenes.

4. Valor

Valor Senior member

Does being vegan mean I'd have to give up leather shoes? Because that is way more tragic than death and anyone who's willing to give up leather should not be posting in this forum...

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Does being vegan mean I'd have to give up leather shoes? Because that is way more tragic than death and anyone who's willing to give up leather should not be posting in this forum...
    Also no silk ties. Think of the poor silkworms.

6. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

Are there obnoxious, self-righteous vegans and vegetarians out there? Certainly.

Funny... I have yet to meet a vegan who isn't obnoxious and self-righteous. And the vegetarians who are veggie for non-religious reasons who aren't obnoxious or self-righteous are certainly an endangered species.

7. samus

samus Senior member

Funny... I have yet to meet a vegan who isn't obnoxious and self-righteous. And the vegetarians who are veggie for non-religious reasons who aren't obnoxious or self-righteous are certainly an endangered species.

You must need a new crowd.

8. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

And Nosu or another poster came in and posted a video about veal "production" methods, and told everyone that what they were eating was causing animals to suffer.

I posted a video only after I was referenced two times within the first few posts. It was just the veal process, that's not an attack. I've not attacked someone for what they do or don't eat. I've offered information or corrected the people who don't know what they are talking about, like the one guy who said there's no cruelty because the calves are fed milk. Yet we have seen people say things like "torture animals, I killed (or insert an act of animal cruelty here) animals today, kill/shoot/slaughter vegetarians and vegans, eat humans and animals, eat the flesh of vegans", etc. These kinds of statements are juvenile and serve no purpose.

My suspicion is that many can't bear confrontation with ethical dilemma, and when vegetarians and vegans make their case, no matter how unobtrusively, it sparks some sort of cognitive dissonance that results in unreasonable hatred. It's almost a religious thing. I, for one, have thought about the issues and I have definitely changed my eating behaviors, but I chose to continue eating meat raised in humane ways. I'm not perfect about it, but neither does consciousness of the issues involved inflame my passions.
    you've got it

9. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I posted a video only after I was referenced two times within the first few posts.

And why was it that you were referenced? Hmmm...

10. gdl203

Not to go on a tangent but why are we programmed to kill inferior species and make them suffer? I know from experience with my kids that when they crouch in the garden and see a big ant, the next thing they do is crush them with their finger. They've never seen anyone do that. Obviously, we've never taught them to kill insects or small animals, yet it is part of their nature to do so. And we don't eat ants so it's clearly not part of a food chain thing that's in our DNA.

I know, it's a rethorical question.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

nobody is trying to attack you, VG and samus. Nor your lifestyle (that is not my intention at least). Rather, it's the slander and things like "you wouldn't eat your dog, would you?" from the vegans in the other thread that is producing animosity that is spilling over. Last I checked nobody (besides Fuuma) supports animal cruelty nor gives overwhelming support to the meat industry.
    I'm actually kidding, I support a less industrial treatment of animals...

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

There is no ethical dilemma about eating meat. There may be many about how we treat our food animals.

13. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Not to go on a tangent but why are we programmed to kill inferior species and make them suffer? I know from experience with my kids that when they crouch in the garden and see a big ant, the next thing they do is crush them with their finger. They've never seen anyone do that. Obviously, we've never taught them to kill insects or small animals, yet it is part of their nature to do so. And we don't eat ants so it's clearly not part of a food chain thing that's in our DNA.

I know, it's a rethorical question.

We aren't programmed to kill inferior species and make them suffer. I'm not sure why your kids are doing that, because I've only known the opposite. How do you respond to it?

14. gdl203

We aren't programmed to kill inferior species and make them suffer. I'm not sure why your kids are doing that, because I've only known the opposite. How do you respond to it?

You've only known the opposite?? What kind of alternate reality do you live in? [​IMG] Toddlers crush ants and pull the wings of insects. They've been doing it forever - and it's nature, not nurture.

I tell them that they shouldn't crush the ant, that it's hurting them.

I think that part of the answer is the development of empathy in children - at what age does it start to sink in and when does empathy for humans starts to translate to other species too. Is that a natural process or simply the result of adults teaching it to their kids?

15. SField

SField Senior member

In Berkeley there was an anti-bread movement because of what they called the "yeast holocaust". I remember getting their pamphlet "Silent Screams".

You're lying. This cannot be real.