• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

death of hollywood

stach

Reaction score
No studio contracts any more that require them to be well dressed.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people don`t realize these days is that dressing down is only cool if you know how to dress up

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
untitled-6.jpg

Don't get me started . . . another man of towering style and presence: Yul Brynner.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only has Hollywood forgotten how to dress up, but they suck at dressing down. I was in the Polo store in Highland Park and one of the books they had for sale had a picture of James Dean with a cigarette, wearing a wool coat with the collar up, dark trousers, and black shoes, walking in the rain. It was possibly the most stylish streetwear look I've ever seen. Doubtless, a large part of the appeal was the fact that it was James Dean wearing it, but still, it makes me sad that there's nothing that cool to be seen in Hollywood nowadays.
ED: Here's the pic. Wish I could find a larger one.
dean-james-picture-walking-on-broadway-3700010.jpg

chrisc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Not only has Hollywood forgotten how to dress up, but they suck at dressing down. I was in the Polo store in Highland Park and one of the books they had for sale had a picture of James Dean with a cigarette, wearing a wool coat with the collar up, dark trousers, and black shoes, walking in the rain. It was possibly the most stylish streetwear look I've ever seen. Doubtless, a large part of the appeal was the fact that it was James Dean wearing it, but still, it makes me sad that there's nothing that cool to be seen in Hollywood nowadays.
Oh no, someone stole my avatar...
smile.gif
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this photo. Incredibly classy for casual wear and something you can still wear today. A bit gloomy, but I think it captures the feel of a rainy day in Times Square quite well. Too bad there is only one person in Hollywood who might wear this, that being George Clooney.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc
I think it captures the feel of a rainy day in Times Square quite well.
Well, before Times Square got Disneyfied.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article.

Tim Gunn makes probably the best point. To take it a little further (and also go against the assertion that "all these men carefully rumpling their shirts and hair spend as much time on their appearance as the ones in suits and ties"), it may be more than that the big names have the power to dress however they want. It may be a sign of changing times, in that more appearances and more travel, along with the added stress that comes from going against one's normal style, make celebrities resentful of their so-called sartorial responsibilities. If post-award shows would pay more attention to male attire (criticize more), maybe the trend could be reversed.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc
Oh no, someone stole my avatar...
smile.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this photo. Incredibly classy for casual wear and something you can still wear today. A bit gloomy, but I think it captures the feel of a rainy day in Times Square quite well. Too bad there is only one person in Hollywood who might wear this, that being George Clooney.

George Clooney has none of the personality to be able to look that stylish.

James Dean's style is further augmented by a certain pathos.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
dean-james-picture-walking-on-broadway-3700010.jpg

Dennis Stock, the shooter who lived with JD for a month in getting this shot, said that JD has zero regard for clothing, or hygiene for that matter.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
interesting shot. 20000 leagues under the sea was still showing in cinemas, and admiral television was still existent.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To me the larger question is - does hollywood style affect or reflect the current culture?

People in general have been slouching towards casual dress for decades. One of my grandfathers - in his retirement - always wore white dress shirts with grey slacks. My father wears chinos to work and is not out of place. My office favors jeans, but some folks arrive looking like they're fixin to do yardwork.

I think that as our standards have fallen, so have hollywood's.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post, Thomas. At one time, Hollywood stars really did carry weight, with the public. When Clark Gable removed his shirt, in It Happened One Night, 'the king,' was bare chested. Sales of undershirts, plummeted. During A Streetcar Named Desire, Marlon Brando showed his athletic build, underneath a tight, white tee shirt. Sales of white tees, went through the roof.

Audrey Hepburn was a style icon, to many women, albeit a difficult silhouette. Somehow, perhaps in part because of the time in which 'old Hollywood,' thrived . . . these stars turned their singularity into maxims, by which ordinary people judged themselves. Not sure that's part of our culture, today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads