1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

death of hollywood

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Sep 1, 2006.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

3. stach

stach Senior Member

No studio contracts any more that require them to be well dressed.

4. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

I think people don`t realize these days is that dressing down is only cool if you know how to dress up

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Don't get me started . . . another man of towering style and presence: Yul Brynner.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Not only has Hollywood forgotten how to dress up, but they suck at dressing down. I was in the Polo store in Highland Park and one of the books they had for sale had a picture of James Dean with a cigarette, wearing a wool coat with the collar up, dark trousers, and black shoes, walking in the rain. It was possibly the most stylish streetwear look I've ever seen. Doubtless, a large part of the appeal was the fact that it was James Dean wearing it, but still, it makes me sad that there's nothing that cool to be seen in Hollywood nowadays.
    ED: Here's the pic. Wish I could find a larger one.
    [​IMG]

7. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

Not only has Hollywood forgotten how to dress up, but they suck at dressing down. I was in the Polo store in Highland Park and one of the books they had for sale had a picture of James Dean with a cigarette, wearing a wool coat with the collar up, dark trousers, and black shoes, walking in the rain. It was possibly the most stylish streetwear look I've ever seen. Doubtless, a large part of the appeal was the fact that it was James Dean wearing it, but still, it makes me sad that there's nothing that cool to be seen in Hollywood nowadays.
    Oh no, someone stole my avatar... [​IMG] I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this photo. Incredibly classy for casual wear and something you can still wear today. A bit gloomy, but I think it captures the feel of a rainy day in Times Square quite well. Too bad there is only one person in Hollywood who might wear this, that being George Clooney.

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

I think it captures the feel of a rainy day in Times Square quite well.
    Well, before Times Square got Disneyfied.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Thanks for the article.

Tim Gunn makes probably the best point. To take it a little further (and also go against the assertion that "all these men carefully rumpling their shirts and hair spend as much time on their appearance as the ones in suits and ties"), it may be more than that the big names have the power to dress however they want. It may be a sign of changing times, in that more appearances and more travel, along with the added stress that comes from going against one's normal style, make celebrities resentful of their so-called sartorial responsibilities. If post-award shows would pay more attention to male attire (criticize more), maybe the trend could be reversed.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Oh no, someone stole my avatar... [​IMG]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this photo. Incredibly classy for casual wear and something you can still wear today. A bit gloomy, but I think it captures the feel of a rainy day in Times Square quite well. Too bad there is only one person in Hollywood who might wear this, that being George Clooney.

George Clooney has none of the personality to be able to look that stylish.

James Dean's style is further augmented by a certain pathos.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

ED: Here's the pic. Wish I could find a larger one.

here's a larger clearer one.

[​IMG]

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Dennis Stock, the shooter who lived with JD for a month in getting this shot, said that JD has zero regard for clothing, or hygiene for that matter.

13. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

interesting shot. 20000 leagues under the sea was still showing in cinemas, and admiral television was still existent.

14. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

To me the larger question is - does hollywood style affect or reflect the current culture?

People in general have been slouching towards casual dress for decades. One of my grandfathers - in his retirement - always wore white dress shirts with grey slacks. My father wears chinos to work and is not out of place. My office favors jeans, but some folks arrive looking like they're fixin to do yardwork.

I think that as our standards have fallen, so have hollywood's.

15. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Distinguished Member

Great post, Thomas. At one time, Hollywood stars really did carry weight, with the public. When Clark Gable removed his shirt, in It Happened One Night, 'the king,' was bare chested. Sales of undershirts, plummeted. During A Streetcar Named Desire, Marlon Brando showed his athletic build, underneath a tight, white tee shirt. Sales of white tees, went through the roof.

Audrey Hepburn was a style icon, to many women, albeit a difficult silhouette. Somehow, perhaps in part because of the time in which 'old Hollywood,' thrived . . . these stars turned their singularity into maxims, by which ordinary people judged themselves. Not sure that's part of our culture, today.