• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Death of a Co-Worker

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got news today that a brand new co-worker has passed away. Her office was right next to mine and we ate lunch a few times. I didn't know her well, but it is definately surreal. The office was really quiet today.

She didn't show up Monday. Finally, after repeated calls, my boss talked w/HR and called the police. She was found dead in her apartment next to her treadmill with the tv on. I have no other details. She was 32 and graduated near the top of her class in lawschool and had just graduated a year ago.

Anyone else have a co-worker die?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even deaths of those who aren't close can be traumatizing. It's easy to assume otherwise. Please be sure to pay attention to yourself and those around you. Hopefully, your firm has a strategy in place to assist employees who need help during such times.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucks man, never had it happened that I know of.

What Im gathering from this is that I should just be fat and dumb and Ill live forever. Yes, strong CSI.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. I've had this happen in my career before. Heed Teacher's words. Take care of yourself, and lend an ear, or a supporting hand to any of your co-workers who need it.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
That's really young. Was she in good shape? I hope I don't drop off the treadmill one day.
frown.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can recall being in a co-worker's office when he picked up the phone and began exclaiming, "Oh my, that's terrible" and similar remarks, so I realized somebody had croaked. It turned out to be a close co-worker, who had keeled over during the weekend. I can't say I was particularly fazed by it: He'd made it to 54, which is a fairly good run, and he had a quick, clean exit from this world, which is much to be envied. I had mixed feelings about the guy. He was genial, pleasant and helpful when it wasn't in his interest not to be, but he could be treacherous, and he was a world-class kiss-ass and loafer.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
That's really young. Was she in good shape? I hope I don't drop off the treadmill one day.
frown.gif

Here's the deal with death. In many cases, it matters not a whit what kind of shape you are in, what kind of lifestyle you lead. Certainly those can be contributory to an "untimely" passing, but there are no guarantees.

The RubeSister's husband was a ******* Adonis. This guy got a free-agent contract with the Steelers out of college; some of his track records still stand in Minnesota high school and at his alma mater. ****** was chiseled. Great diet, daily workouts, a picture of perfect health.

New Year's Day 2002, working out in his home gym, the ****** vapor-locked. Dead before he hit the floor. Several doctor friends of mine, upon learning his cause of death, said it wouldn't have mattered if it had happened in the ER.

Live each and every day you've got as if it is your last chance to tell someone you love them. Never let an opportunity pass to help someone. Don't hate, 'cause there might not be a chance to un-hate.

You just never ******* know when your day will come.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's vapor lock? Assuming having to do with respiration?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry.
Coronary "event".
Complete blockage in the left anterior descending artery.
No warning signs.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's harsh and 32 is young.

I had a former co-worker die, she was learning how to scuba dive with her boyfriend up at Lake Simcoe north of Toronto and was hit by some tool in a speedboat as she was surfacing in an area marked off limits for water traffic and did not have a chance. She died of massive head trauma on the scene. I felt really sorry for her boyfriend to witness that.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She was faily normal for an american. Didn't work out much (her words, not mine), ate ok from what I saw (always ate a salad). She said he was trying to 'get in to running' but wasn't quite a 'runner' yet.

I agree with Rube - you just never know. 32 yrs old is soooo young to randomly keel over.
frown.gif
I only wish the best for her parents. It is just so surreal for me. I still have some law books she lent me, and she has some stuff of mine that I lent her (nothing important).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
That's harsh and 32 is young.

I had a former co-worker die, she was learning how to scuba dive with her boyfriend up at Lake Simcoe north of Toronto and was hit by some tool in a speedboat as she was surfacing, did not have a chance.

that is so sad. it also angers me. whenever i hear of someone dying on the account of someone else's mistake due to lack of concern/welfare of others

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Several years back a close colleague and friend was killed. She was 28. It hurt me a lot, and for a long time.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's sort of creepy story I had forgotten when I posted earlier: When I was setting up Handguns magazine, the two most appealing candidates were both in-house. Both were talented, pleasant, attractive (I know, I know--that shouldn't matter) young women. I asked the art director of Guns & Ammo for her assessment of the two. She recommended Geri (a tall, willowy blonde who looked a lot like Darryl Hannah) over Elisa (a pretty slender brunette) on the grounds that Elisa had some health problems, whereas as Geri was healthy. So, I chose Geri. Elisa remained with the company, and damned if she didn't die of pneumonia in the hospital at age 32. Geri went to another position in the company, but she died of cancer at age 36 a few years after Elisa had passed on. Both were lovely, talented women--a sad loss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads