1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Death in the Digital Age

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Quirk, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Earlier today, I was informed that a colleague's mother had died, and I was provided with a link to the funeral home's website, where I could read an obituary, get details about the funeral arrangements and send my e-condolences (my word, not theirs). I'm just old enough to feel weird about sending my trite little expression of sympathy via internet - not that I'm in the habit of sending condolence cards, either - but is this 'e-grieving' business common nowadays?

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

When a friend's mother died recently, friends sent him their condolences via his myspace/facebook wall. Wow.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Somewhere in Vancouver B.C., William Gibson is sadly shaking his head and saying... "I told you so"