Dealing with last minute eBay Outbid Feelings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Klobber, Feb 14, 2011.

1. spertia

spertia Senior member

Who knows what the buyer's maximum bid really was.

It's easy to forget that part. The runner-up bidder might cry, "Whaaaaa, if I'd only bid another $2 I would have had the item," when in fact the winner actually had a much higher bid in place anyway.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Relieved I have an extra half mil to bid the next day.

[​IMG]

Usually, I'm happy. I bid what I personally consider the item to be worth, so if I don't win with that, it's like making money. [​IMG]

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

It's easy to forget that part. The runner-up bidder might cry, "Whaaaaa, if I'd only bid another $2 I would have had the item," when in fact the winner actually had a much higher bid in place anyway.

I always just assume the max bid was like 5x the winning bid

4. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Snipe Swipe 2 seconds before auction ends, max bid at what I want to pay plus up to about 50%, if it's a must have item and that would still be a tolerable price. I almost always get what I want. There are numerous swiping systems out there. Doing it manually is just asking for heartburn.

5. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If you bid the most you would pay why care?

6. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

[​IMG]

Usually, I'm happy. I bid what I personally consider the item to be worth, so if I don't win with that, it's like making money. [​IMG]

^This

7. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

esnipe.com is super cheap, you guys. :p

www.auctionstealer.com has been my friend for the past few years. If I get outbid, it is really because someone was willing to pay more than I.

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Snipe Swipe 2 seconds before auction ends, max bid at what I want to pay plus up to about 50%, if it's a must have item and that would still be a tolerable price. I almost always get what I want. There are numerous swiping systems out there. Doing it manually is just asking for heartburn.
    these things really have nothing to do with the OP. whether you put your "highest price" in manually with 3 seconds to go, or via a Snipe tool that does it automatically with 3 seconds to go, it doesn't matter. either way, he is talking about someone else putting in a higher bid, at the last second, than you were willing to pay.

9. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

www.auctionstealer.com has been my friend for the past few years. If I get outbid, it is really because someone was willing to pay more than I.

I have only ever lost an auction because someone was willing to pay more than me, plain and simple.

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I have only ever lost an auction because someone was willing to pay more than me, plain and simple.

+1. My sniper gets set a day or two before with the max that I can and will pay for the item. I don't find out until after it's over whether I won or not. If so, I'm happy; if not, no biggie. Someone else was willing to pay more.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Its horrible to get outibid but it feels AWESOME to outbid someone else in the last 2 seconds. I recently purchased a pair of shoes for $408. My max bid was $410.[​IMG]

12. escheriff

escheriff Well-Known Member

I then console myself that I've got way too much shoes or shirts etc. Even if its a pewter black museum calf Lobb Prestige or a Vass thats less than a $100, so be it.

+1

13. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

these things really have nothing to do with the OP.

whether you put your "highest price" in manually with 3 seconds to go, or via a Snipe tool that does it automatically with 3 seconds to go, it doesn't matter. either way, he is talking about someone else putting in a higher bid, at the last second, than you were willing to pay.

No, the poll considers both scenarios.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

If it is really worth owning, I try to back door it long before the general population has a chance to bid it up or snipe it.

Mike

15. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

If it is really worth owning, I try to back door it long before the general population has a chance to bid it up or snipe it.

Mike

Mike! Shhhhh! [​IMG]